Hi guys, I followed the tutorial here http://orkframework.com/tutorial/gameplay/individual-combatant-huds/ and all worked well except that the HP bars are not fixed above the combatants heads.

I made sure to create an empty game object, call it HUD and make sure it was in the prefab hierarchy on the hierarchy tab (and replace the old prefabs where required, with the new ones) I have tired putting the game object in either the prefab itself or even the bone hierarchy like for an equipment viewer.

Path to child on the HP Bar HUD under HUDs in the framework is set to "HUD" which is the name of my empty game object.

Perhaps it still isn't finding this object? The object appears with black text in the hirachy not blue text, does this mean its not parented correctly?

On the up side the bars are appearing and taking damage etc just not staying above combatants heads (infact they never go there, just seem to move around the bottom of my screen depending on my view- If a video is helpful let me know).

Thanks for any help.
  • When you work on a prefab, you need to press the Apply button at the top of the inspector when you're done. If the new game object's name is in black and not blue, it's not part of the prefab.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks heaps GIL, sorry for the very basic level of understanding here. Made sure the HUD object was applied and is now blue, the HUDs are still floating unfortunately.
  • Is your combatant type HUD set to individual? Can you put up a pic of what's happening?
  • Hi Cata, Yeah HUD type is set to individual.

Here is a quick vid of what is happening (please excuse the test crap everywhere but you will get the general idea from the vid).

https://youtu.be/UBsMqzP_XqM

Thanks again.
  • Well, in your playing game, check where the HUD game objects are placed :)
    If they're placed correctly, check out your Screen/GUI Settings in Game > Game Settings. The default screen size and GUI scale mode are responsible for adjusting the UI to the actual screen size.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • lol I was looking over that and thought that could be it, bet it is.....omg..... so so n00b. So I have changed the screen size and gone through all the GUI scale mode settings but its still floating. It does seem fixed in its floating, which makes me think it is a screen res scaling issue. I just had it on the default size. I checked the HUD was parented and positioned correctly as you can see here - still getting the floating issue. Also thanks heaps for the great support, making a great product even better.

photo HP HUD correctly positioned_zps75lwv4fs.jpg
  • I know ORK scales the HUDs/GUIs but I was just wondering is there a particular screen res and scale method that you recommend? Cheers
  • For the screen resolution I'd do some research on what's the most common for your target market. For example, if you're building only to an iOS tablet, use their native resolution as your default. If you're targeting PC, Valve releases some good statistics to browse and become familiar with. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Primary Display Resolution to get the full list.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • Thanks heaps @Firrerreo, very useful stats. 1920 x 1080 looks to be the go. Thanks again :)
  • edited December 2016
    Hi again guys, I'm doing some tiding up before a pre-alpha demo and there are a few things I really need to have fixed.

Firstly this HUD issue. Please see the new video here, it shows all my ORK settings along with the problem in game.
    Please note I changed some minor settings from the tutorial like in shops = ignore etc, and I only selected player, as I just wanted to simplify things to one HUD and trouble shoot. (I've also tried with Full HD res and with the 1650 res in ork and unity game window settings - makes no difference).

I've even tried making the HUD object a child of the bone structure and adding the path to child in ORK - still behaved exactly the same way.

A few things I've noticed.
    1. There are TWO HP HUDs floating around, they are very close together but you can see two, at the start of the game. Why? I have only got "Player" selected in my settings, there should only be one. I have searched for secondary players in the scene but nothing came up.
    2. The indivdual HP HUD seems to be aligned with the player in the X/Z axis but is inverted with the Y axis of the camera - you can see this in the video when I move the camera up and down (In the first scene where the player spawns).
    3. This alignment only occurs in the scene provided by the ORK tutorial. In the new scenes (made primarily via Gaia) there is no such alignment, they just go straight to the top left corner of the screen as if the HUD object hasn't been found on the player.

I'm using the John stairs camera controller script and have the camera attached to the actual player on a child object - I had this same HUD issue before ever doing that, but I am actively trying to solve this issue with John.

Thanks for any help. @gamingislove

Post edited by Phesant33 on
  • edited December 2016
    Even when I use a different camera all together, nothing, no love, it just goes up to the top left, like it cant find the HUD object on my player. Also when the camera is static and not moving at all, again top left
    Post edited by Phesant33 on
  • So the HP HUDs now behave correctly in the ORK tutorial scenes, but not in the Gaia generated ones. I am not sure if my event to dismount the camera worked, as it still looks parented to the player prefab in the hierarchy when I pause the game. So not entirely sure what is going on, but at least it works in a scene.
  • Changed camera controller completely and now all HP hud issues resolved completely
  • So, is there still an issue left?