edited July 2017 in Makinom Support
Hello,

I'm trying out Makinom Free v1.8.0 and ORK Framework Limited v2.11.2 to make a purchasing decision. I followed the install instructions for ORKMakinomConnectionPlugin v1.0.7 but when I go to Makinom/Editor/PlugIns that section is dimmed out. Same behavior for ORK also. Are loading PlugIns disabled for the free/limited versions or is it because I'm using Unity 2017.1.0f1?

Post edited by kwiknip on
  • I m no expert on this, but I think ORK is for Unity 5.6 and not 2017.1 yet..
  • Also not getting any console errors when attempting to load the plugin thus far.
    I'm using Unity 2017.1 because of the macOS Metal support.
  • ORK/Makinom doesn't support Unity beta versions, you'll need one of the Unity 5.6 releases.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2017
    I was afraid to here that but I understand why betas aren't fully supported.
    This is a special situation for us macOS users because Apple is abandoning OpenGL in favor of Metal, so I'm committing to that now and getting a head start with it in Unity 2017.1 + .NET 4.6(equivalent).

I know this question is impossible to answer due to development woes, etc. but what's your vague prediction on ORK/Makinom updates (2mos, 6mos, or 1yr) after the Unity 2017 final release date is announced?
    Post edited by kwiknip on
  • I usually update within 1-2 weeks to support new incompatible Unity versions - unless I'm in the middle of a bigger update :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • T/U GiL,

I'm still evaluating Makinom Free+ORK Trial, and currently using them in Unity 2017.1.0f3 release. Decided to experiment a little with using Makinom with other assets to get a feel for how well it coexist in my workflow.
    I have CineMachine installed and noticed a plugin was available for Makinom (MakinomCinemachine.dll v1.0.1) so I know you stated that Unity 5.6 was fully supported at the moment, but wanted to try it at my own risk because I didn't get any errors in the console after installation so it led me to believe the plugin is initialized by Makinom (I assumed as much but guess I was wrong, however none of the plugins state which version of Unity must be installed in order for them to work). So I installed it anyway & then Makinom v1.8.0 and ORK v2.11.2 (didn't expect it to effect ORK) tab windows stopped responding (meaning they wouldn't draw their UI), however when I removed the plugin and restarted Unity they were stable again, o.k. lesson learned.

Can I expect the plugins to work if I wait to purchase Makinom+ORK upgrades for Unity 2017...?
    Noticed there's only a few plugins available at the time of this writing so are they absolutely necessary or does everyone that need integration with other assets need to code their own plugins?
  • kwiknip said: I followed the install instructions for ORKMakinomConnectionPlugin v1.0.7 but when I go to Makinom/Editor/PlugIns that section is dimmed out.
    Wow, just discovered Makinom shows the ORKMakinomConnectionPlugin integration events via its Schematics contextual menu, so that's actually working but it's just dimmed out in the Editor (per GiL's previous response the unity betas weren't fully supported). My guess is future plugins will behave in this manner, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the assumption that every plugin had to be loaded into Makinom/Editor/Plugins to be available to Makinom. Not a deal breaker, just wrapping my head around how the system works.

kwiknip said: I'm still evaluating Makinom Free+ORK Trial, and currently using them in Unity 2017.1.0f3 macOS release.
  • edited July 2017
    Yeah, forgot that plugins are locked in the free versions - I'll allow using 1 plugin with the next updates for ORK and Makinom :)

As for stuff like the cinemacine plugin or the ORK nodes from the connection plugin - nodes don't require you to set up a plugin in the editor, as long as they're in your Unity project, they're available for use. E.g. you can write a custom node and it'll be available for use as long as the script is there.

Setting up a plugin in the editor is only required for things like the ORK-Makinom connection or save game compression, where functionality is automatically called (e.g. blocking controls, connecting save games, etc.).
    Post edited by gamingislove on