edited October 2017 in Announcements
ORK Framework 2.14.0 is here: release notes

Massive update - new action combo feature, updates to the battle system (e.g. action time), grid battles (e.g. diagonal movement on square grids), console system (e.g. optional console per combatant), HUDs and many other new features, changes and fixes.

This update is available for both Unity 5.6 and 2017.1!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naturally, the next update is in the works, coming with some awesome new features for the battle system:

Turn Start/End Events
You can define game events to be used at the start and end of a combatant's turn. Default settings in the battle settings, each combatant can override them with custom events - and the events are defined separately for player group members, allies of the player and enemies.
Available in all battle system types.

Action Time
You can optionally allow combatants to select actions only in a defined amout of time. Available in turn based, active time and phase battles (not much sense having that in real time battles).

AI Decision Time
Optionally have AI controlled combatants need some time to decide their actions. You can define a min and max time, e.g. having AI combatants take between 0.5 and 1 second to decide an action.
Available in all battle system types.

Movement During Turn
When blocking controls for the whole battle, you can optionally allow them during a player controlled combatant's turn. You can also automatically transfer controls to player group members.
The move AI can also be enabled for combatants during their turn (when it's blocked for combatants in battle).

Action Combos
You can define action combos. Default combos for all combatants are defined in the battle settings, each combatant can optionally add or override them.
An action combo allows defining a series of actions with optional replacements to be used instead of them. Each stage of the combo can optionally be available only for a set amount of time.
E.g. a combatant has action A and action B, when using A>A>A, the combatant should use A>A>B, i.e. the 3rd use of A will change it to B.
While this'll be most prominent in combination with a control map, it's used for any kind of action input, e.g. battle menu or AI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small update on upcoming features - there's a lot more coming, I'll just list some highlights and usability features:
  • HUDs: Element Bounds
    The element bound settings for HUD elements have been updated (except for Control and Navigation HUDs).
    They now work like the HUD elements in Makinom, i.e. you can anchor a HUD element based on the previous element or adjust width/height based on the available space (e.g.
    100% width of the content space).
    Also, value bars no longer use a separate Bar Bounds settings to define the value bar within the element bounds, this is how handled by the element bounds as well. Old settings will automatically adjust the element bounds to look the same.
  • Animations
    There's a new setting to start the first animation that is played (after a combatant spawns)
    to start at a random time.
    E.g. useful if multiple combatants spawn at the same time and you don't want their idle animations to look like they're synchronized :)
  • Editor: Language Input
    Settings that are made for multiple languages (e.g. texts or icon/name/description of data)
    can now be displayed one at a time, changing between languages with tab-buttons above the settings.
  • Inventory: Quantity Texts
    You can now define how quantities (e.g. items and equipment) are displayed globally, instead of having to change that for each menu individually.
  • Battle Menus: Time Scale
    Battle menus can now change the time scale or completely freeze the game (if set to 0) while being displayed.
    This replaces the Freeze Action and Time Scale settings in real time battles.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sounds great! and any change of get a custom event on Gain notification to add our own Victory Gain screen with effects? :)
  • edited August 2017
    combo great!
    please sprite support on new gui ;)
    Post edited by joeee19 on
  • Oh man, some of these sound nice! However, may I ask how Action Combos are different from Ability Combos?
  • I'm looking forward to Action Time in particular!
  • @RustedGames
    I'll look into that.

@Griffin
    Ability combos limit an ability to be only used if a defined ability was used before it (e.g. ability B is only available if ability A was used as the last action).
    Action combos are more of a beat'em'up thing, automatically replacing an action with another when doing a combo. E.g. when using 3 base attacks in a row, you could replace the 3rd with a stronger attack.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2017
    Ahh that makes sense. I'm curious as to how this will be incorporated into turn-based menus!
    Post edited by Griffin on
  • This is actually bad news for me unfortunately, my project is stuck in 5.6x due to some core things that were removed in 2017. I cannot use Unity 2017, does this mean no more updates for people not using 2017?
  • I'm looking forward to this update myself, very interested about Action Time :D
  • edited September 2017
    I m on the same boat as @rpgee (what core things are removed on unity 2017.x though?) and I would like to ask if 5.6 support dropped for later versions after 2.13.1
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • I'll also release this update for Unity 5.6 and try to make major updates available on both 5.6 and 2017.x, as long as there's not a huge difference between them.

@Griffin
    Well, as is, it doesn't change anything in the battle menu, but it'll change the action after it was selected (e.g. if you select Fire ability, but an action combo changes it to a Water ability instead).
  • Thank you GIL, this is really helpful
  • Thanks GIL, much appreciated!
  • Small update on upcoming features - there's a lot more coming, I'll just list some highlights and usability features:
    • HUDs: Element Bounds
      The element bound settings for HUD elements have been updated (except for Control and Navigation HUDs).
      They now work like the HUD elements in Makinom, i.e. you can anchor a HUD element based on the previous element or adjust width/height based on the available space (e.g.
      100% width of the content space).
      Also, value bars no longer use a separate Bar Bounds settings to define the value bar within the element bounds, this is how handled by the element bounds as well. Old settings will automatically adjust the element bounds to look the same.
    • Animations
      There's a new setting to start the first animation that is played (after a combatant spawns)
      to start at a random time.
      E.g. useful if multiple combatants spawn at the same time and you don't want their idle animations to look like they're synchronized :)
    • Editor: Language Input
      Settings that are made for multiple languages (e.g. texts or icon/name/description of data)
      can now be displayed one at a time, changing between languages with tab-buttons above the settings.
    • Inventory: Quantity Texts
      You can now define how quantities (e.g. items and equipment) are displayed globally, instead of having to change that for each menu individually.
    • Battle Menus: Time Scale
      Battle menus can now change the time scale or completely freeze the game (if set to 0) while being displayed.
      This replaces the Freeze Action and Time Scale settings in real time battles.
  • Hey GIL, thanks for the Time Scale feature!
  • ORK Framework 2.14.0 is here: release notes

Massive update - new action combo feature, updates to the battle system (e.g. action time), grid battles (e.g. diagonal movement on square grids), console system (e.g. optional console per combatant), HUDs and many other new features, changes and fixes.

This update is available for both Unity 5.6 and 2017.1!