• edited October 2017
    I'll look into it.

Edit: Will be fixed in the next update :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks GIL :D

I ran into another little bug, hope this one will also help others.

I was fiddling with battle grid settings, then after changing settings, whenever I use the grid move command I get an error : NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ORKFramework.GridMoveCommandSettings.ShowInfoBox (Single cost) and the game freezes.

So I went back to edit the move command settings, because I was pretty sure that's what I changed. But I can't, all the sections are empty even when collapsed. Also there is a strange behavior: when collapsed, it hides the rest of the other sections. Here's a pic :

Post edited by UserName on
  • Yep, there's a bug when using Hexagonal grids that hides the settings ... will be fixed in the next update (soon).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GIL!
  • Hi GIL,

I would need your advice on something.

Currently my active time battle system works this way: The battle menus should stop time, attacks should stop time (ie, game waits for the events chain to be finished) , but movement (grid move command) and projectiles should not stop time, they are ongoing.

1- So to set what stops time and what doesn't, I have an event with a block active time node, which stops active time (ie time bar filling), but I just discovered it doesn't stop casting of abilities (which happens a lot in my game).

So I try adding a Ork Time Scale node set to 0 (and I put the same nodes at the end of the chain of events to resume normal time). But the problem with the Ork Time Scale node is if I put any wait nodes in my chain of events while the Ork Time scale is at 0, then the game hangs (including the check "wait for animation to finish"), so It can't work.

Is there a way to have my abilities stop everything, run their nodes, then resume time? Like have the block active time stop all running stuff (except animations, like my attack plays, the target gets hit and play its damage animation, but meanwhile everything else is frozen, casting time, active time, whatever else)?

2- Related to 1 : my battle menu currently use the new "freeze time" feature, which is great, stops everything. But that also stops idle animations, so it looks a bit weird when you look around during the player turn. Is there a way to have it not stop idle animations? (I wouldn't mind adding some lines of codes myself)
  • 1) I don't think that's possible. Blocking active time only blocks new actions from being selected, but doesn't prevent actions that are already performing from doing so.
    Changing the time scale affects everything, so that's also not an option.

2) No. Due to freeze time setting the time scale to 0, this stops everything related to time, e.g. animations, movement or particle systems.
    Your only alternative is to use Pause On Menu in the active time battle settings to pause the timebars while having the battle menu open.
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks GIL, I messed around a lot with all that.

1) Here's the hack that I did: Instead of stetting ork time scale to 0 in the node, I set it to 0.0001 and adjusted all the wait nodes in the attack animation accordingly. Time is practically frozen, because at that time scale, no animations will last long enough to trigger a game tick. I think this will work out :D

2) I think if I could use scale time Ork instead of scale time Unity in battle menus, it would work. Right now my battle menu time scale in the battle menu setting is set to 0, which I think sets Unity scale to 0? So I wouldn't mind changing a line of code to make it ork time scale to 0 instead, and since this might be useful mostly for me, you don't hvae to bother adding a feature, can you just point me to the line so I can do it myself?

• 2) This is handled in the ActiveBattleMenu class, but I'll add an option for using the ORK time scale instead in the next update :)
  • What can I say, you're the greatest :D
  • Hi GIL,

I started playing around with Makinom since the last update, and I discover a lot of cool new things I can do, it's a really good program I wish I had it before!

Anyway one simple feature that really shined for me is selecting multiple nodes, and "copy to clipboard". I could never find how to do this with ORK, I don't know which button to use or if its possible. For instance, I got 6 big formulas that use similar nodes, but with many small variations. So if I want to add a few nodes to all those formulas, I have to do 5 times the work every time to set the correct settings for each node. If I could just copy paste the new nodes, it would be so helpful. Also it would also be very useful in game events when you have to copy a game variable fork with 10 options of 20 nodes each, although I suspect I will be using Makinom soon for that!

So how do you do that with Ork, or is it possible?
  • Not possible in ORK - Makinom's node editor/system is more advanced than ORK's.
  • Ok thanks, I'll continue checking Makinom.
  • Hi GIL, what's up.

Is there a way to get around the game ticks cap in the Active Time Battle system?

My combat system relies on some real time elements, so I have some constraints and need more game ticks. However, no matter how low I set the tick intervals in the ATB settings, the maximum amount of ticks I could get was 50 per seconds (0.02).

I tried changing the fixed timestep in Unity and the other settings in the time section, but nothing worked.
  • The active time battles switch between a time tick (increasing the timebar) and an action tick (starting the next action).

I.e. even if you lower the Tick Interval to 0 (i.e. per frame), only every 2nd frame will be used to increase the timebar.
  • edited November 2017
    Ok so how would I go about making it independant of frames? Are all timers in Unity based on frames? I took a look at fixedUpdate but it seems it just makes the update stable, but still dependant on frames. Seems like Time.deltaTime would do the trick, what do you think?

The reason I need this is because I'm making a combat system that will be used in several different games in the future. So I need to remove this tick cap, because it puts a limit on the "speed" attributes of combatants, ie, the closer their speed is to the maximum time bar, the more broken the game becomes. But it's not urgent, I just need to know if I will be able to change this in the future.