edited October 2017 in Announcements
As of today, the free test version of Makinom becomes unlimited. This means there’s no feature limitation, no watermark, no limit on data you can create or play-time in the running game. Makinom is free, and you can also use it in your commercial projects!

That’s why this version is now called Makinom Free. Since it’s free.

The paid version of Makinom is still available and now called Makinom Pro. The difference between both versions being the gameplay source code that’s only included in the Pro version. Also, Makinom Pro is from now on available for only $35 in the Unity Asset Store.

I’ve already submitted Makinom Free to the Unity Asset Store, but this naturally takes some time until it’s approved. Meanwhile, you can download it here.

Wait … but why?
That’s a good question, and it’s a bit hard to answer. Generally, I’d like as many people as possible to enjoy making games, even if they don’t know how to write code, or not enough to make their dream come true. That’s why I’ve created my game dev tools for Unity, and why I’ve been doing this since 2010.

Digging a bit deeper, it’s something I’ve been considering and struggling with for some time now. Providing free updates, tutorials and support for Makinom and ORK Framework is a full-time job, however my salery (coming from sales) doesn’t provide me with a stable, full-time income. This is mainly due to selling you my products once and providing free updates and support for years.

Don’t get me wrong – I absolutely love doing this job, and I want to continue doing it! That’s why I’ve decided to take this road and hope for your support.

Thank you!
If you like and use my products and enjoy the free updates and support I’m providing, I’d be honored if you’d buy a license (or more). Or if you want to do more, consider becoming a patron and pledge to give me a small (or big) amount of money each month. Every little bit helps, and you won’t go unrewarded, as you can gain access to things like feature polls and beta versions!

Anyway, I’m quite proud of the level of support I was able to give and the community that formed around my tools, and I’m really thankful for everyone who’s been supporting (and buying) my products so far, and especially for those of you who engaged me for commissional work to add new features for everyone!

So … thank you, everyone!
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hey - Just wanted to say that I'm a huge fan of ORK and what you've done with it.
    I was just wondering how I could continue to support you and I didn't realize you have a Patreon! Perfect solution!

Thanks for the fantastic work so far - looking forward to getting my game up off the ground after coming over to Unity. Thanks so much!
  • edited October 2017
    I'm in, not for the free makinom, but for the support, you give all these years. I started 2,5 years ago without even knowing what is Unity or coding, and in 2 weeks I have my own booth at the biggest gaming event in my Country, and ORK played a big role for this to happen.

Keep up the good work.

Post edited by dlevel on
  • edited October 2017
    @Juupo
    Thanks, I really appreciate it - I just started the patreon page today :)

@dlevel
    Also, thanks :D
    That's amazing, it'd be cool if you could post some pictures from your booth and tell us a bit about it when you're done (or keep us updated while being there). Feel free to open a new topic for this!
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @dlevel
    Yeah - I'd love to see the booth!
  • Of course, I 'll post photos! The event is on 28-29th of October! Thank you guys for your interest :)
  • cool @dlevel I wanna hear all about your success story! And see it too!

And @gamingislove I will sign up for Patreon tonight! I'm low on resource so I'll start slow but I promise to help the new influx of devs on the forum the best I can. Soon I'll know Ork inside and out :D (and now Makinom, gotta check it out)
  • Will try to put some into your cause. Same goes to getting Makinom Pro once my disposable money becomes stable.

What's with the Patron-only posts? Is there anything special behind the posts?
  • GIL,

You have my support!
    For all the help you've provided me throughout the years kept me on track for my own dream game designs. I'm just really grateful that you've made these awesome assets to support designers like myself. =]

Thank You!
    -Nate
    Portfolio - My Website
    Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
    relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
    Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • Thanks GIL!
  • Whoa, big news! Scratch that. Beyond big. Out of this world news.
    Right now I'm kinda broke, so I don't have any money to donate, but in the future I surely will.
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!
    Also, no one should feel pressured to support me on patreon, or bad because they can't.

Everyone will receive support, regardless of them being patrons or not - but patrons have a bit more influence over future developments, through polls and feature suggestions.

@Raiulyn
    Well, since I've only started it yesterday, there are no patron-only posts yet. I plan to use this in the future for introducing/discussing features during development (since there's also beta access to them), asking for feature suggestions (which you also can do in the forums), giving more general insight into development progress and maybe stuff like ask-me-anythings :)
  • With your frequency of support and how awesome ork/makinon are, to not donate is simply a crime :D

Oh, I'm really interested in the ask-me-anythings. This includes asking you for advice regarding how to do certain things in c# too, right? Of course, not crazy question like "GiL, how do you do an inventory in c#?", but small questions like why is this not working or what I did wrong. If so, what will the donate tier be? :)
  • You're the best!!
    Olive Branches ~ in development ~ now with a WEBSITE!!!
  • @gamingislove
    Patreon is still new to me so fair enough. Speaking of introducing/discussing features, how would you pick a topic considering that patreon people have a bit more influence over it now? Would you randomly select one or go with patreon people's most requested choice?

More insight into development is intriguing to me. Might learn a thing or two from you when I'm developing toolsets.
  • @Shadow_Fire
    I think it's better to ask those questions here in the forum, as AMAs are more like a Q&A type of thing, not seeking help with an issue :D

@Natnie

@Raiulyn
    I think this all kinda connects together, I'll use the action combo system from ORK 2.14.0 as an example.
    When starting planning/development, I'd write some infos about the upcoming system as a patron-only post, answer questions or even incorporate ideas/suggestions that are posted by patrons. I'd also post follow up information, e.g. about how development of the feature is progressing, etc. - so overall, feature introduction, development insight and patrons having somewhat more impact on feature development.
    And, if you're pledge enough to get early access, you'd be able to test the feature probably a few days to a week later :)