Hi,

I'm Fairly new to using ORK so sorry if this is just a thing that I have completely missed.
I am working on a 2D top down hack + slash but I am having problems with the damage dealer 'saving' attacks

what I mean by this is I have a control map set up so that space uses an ability. but if I press space a bunch, and then walk into an enemy later, then he will get all that damage that was built up.

is there anyone that could help?
  • What's your battle setup - e.g. since this is most likely real time, are you using a Real Time Battle Area?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2017
    That's correct, with no collider aswell

EDIT I'm not using auto battles, just the real time battle area object through the scene wizard
    Post edited by tdsSPEED on
  • There's no auto battles in real time battle areas anyway, since the whole area/scene is an ongoing battle.

I'll do some tests - damage dealers should definitely not work like that :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks a bunch :)

Today I was messing round with it, and have managed to calm it down somehow through the battle settings, but it still does it within 1~ seconds before contact with a enemy instead of saving it indefinitely.

oddly enough however, I was playing with the range?
  • under battle settings>battle range If the range is 400 it stacks it, but if it is 3 it does not really do it
  • Hm, not really happening on my end - first thought it was, but that was just auto attacks being turned on on my end.

You might want to check if your real time battle setup allows auto attacks (Battle System > Real Time Battles > Auto Attack Settings). I've tested this both with the attack having a None target range and a Single target range (i.e. selecting a target needed).

I'd need a small Unity test project where this is happening to check things out. If you can set one up, please send it to contact@orkframework.com.
  • By changing own use range to none (also own real time to none), I can swing the sword round, but its now attacking targets all over the map now. (eg. I'm standing in the original spawn location and can kill everything without moving)
  • This sounds like you're not actually using damage dealers, but the regular Calculate node in the battle events to do damage. Or maybe both at the same time.
  • edited December 2017
    I reported this too here: http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/4072/my-big-questions-thread-alpha-test/p5 2nd part of 33 question.

Are you using Auto Targets in abilities?

My advice is to go full event abilities, and have Target Range to none as GIL said, and check enemy and ranges on event (as well as ranges etc.) so it doesn't spam abilities all over map. Also use Add block reuse in the event too.

Trying hard to make the targeting work well with real time battles, and with the help of GIL we are getting there. But as he said he will do more for Real Time battles after he finishes with the GRID stuff :)

He made some changes for the battle menu not pop up when some setups happen in the last update, and in the next update he will fix an issue that None Target Ranges also affected by this, so we are in a good stage for Real Time targeting. Will post a guide once this feature is up, with the best method for targeting in Real Time Battles from my experience
    Post edited by dlevel on
  • I'm just wrapping up a quick part of the project now to sent off to gamingislove,

I had a quick look, and I am using a calculate node inside of the battle event, without this the char would not do any damage (or I have balls'd up the project hardcore)

__

Thanks for the tip dlevel! I will try check it out
  • edited December 2017
    After looking into the project - yeah ... the whole thing is pretty messy.

The damage dealer setup is wrong (e.g. destroying it on first damage) and the battle event isn't deactivating it, which is where the stored damage is coming from. Also, once you add deactivating the damage dealer, the battle event has to give it some time (e.g. a short Wait node) to actually do damage.

Your battle event isn't using the Calculate node, but the Use Ability Calculation node - which still works, but isn't really the correct setup here.

I'd recommend going through the game tutorials in case you haven't done yet :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Thanks a whole bunch GIL. I will go back and do the tutorial again. I will have a crack at it tomorrow and see how I go. Thanks a bunch for your time :)

When I get it going I'll post the outcome :)