• Hm, will look into it, I don't think that's currently possible.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GIL
  • Will be in the next update (Status Value and Random Status Value formula nodes will support using the combatant's group).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GIL you re the greatest!
  • Hi GIL,

Is there a way to set a maximum and minimum for game variables attached to combatants?

As workarounds I use a lot of game vars, because sometimes you can do more with them compared to status values. But I encountered a problem: if I use a formula that subs a value to game vars, the game vars can go negative, so it doesn't make sense anymore. So is there a simple way to prevent game vars from going negative?
  • The only way to do this would be to check the variable after changing it (e.g. using a Game Variable Fork node) and change it to the minimum or maximum value if it exceeds those.
  • That should work, but how do I do that for every combatant? If I want to check if some of their object vars became negative, I can't do it all at once because some of them are positive, some negative. So I would have to do it separately for every combatant, but how do I do that if I don't know how many combatants there are in advance?
  • Well, you'd do that in the same event right after changing the variable on the combatant :)
  • Yes but I have to do it for every combatant of the player group, and sometimes there are 10 combatants, sometimes 30, so what would be a better work flow than making a hundred branches of nodes to cover all possibilities? I select combatant of index 0, do my changes, then index 1, do the changes, etc... until 100, then the player can't have more than 100 combatants.
  • Hm, yeah - if you change multiple combatants at the same time, there's no way around that.
  • Actually I'm in the process of testing the new Ork update, and one of your features solved my problem: the select combatant node now has requirements... so I can mass select those combatants whose game var X are <0 and reset them to 0. Have to do it for every game var, but still a lot better! Thanks.
  • Hi GIL,

I'm using the leave battle group node to take out combatants of a battle (for escaping combatants individually). I want them stay in the player group after combat. But the node makes them leave the player group even though the description says it doesn't, is that normal? I have to go to the member screen and add them back again after battle, otherwise when I visit the status screen there's nothing.
  • Hm, working fine on my end - also checked the code, it only removes the combatant from the battle group, it's still part of the group members.
  • Ok here's my use case : a combatant step on an escape cell during, it triggers an escape game event where the combatant leaves the battle. Then at the end of the battle, I need those combatants that escaped to automatically rejoin the group without having the player do anything.

So for the escape cell event, I setup a select combatant, and a starting object as an actor, to first put the escaped combatant in selected data, then remove him with the leave battle group node with 'starting object' as actor. This works. But then in the escape battle end event, when I put a join active group or join battle group node, and I use my selected data, nothing happens (maybe selected data isn't shared between these events?)

Anyway do you have a better workflow for this, or a simple way to do it?
  • Selected data is only available in a running event - i.e. after the battle event ends, the selected data is gone.