I set up a control map using the tutorials to cast a particular ability whenever you press the "F" button. I've set up the input key for it, and the control map, and added the control map to the character. However, it doesn't work. I honestly don't know where exactly things are going wrong. I'm trying to use the "Use Cursor Over Target" setting. Do I need to do anything to set that up or does it just work with the mouse cursor? Also, do I need to set up the ability targeting to be anything specific? There could be a number of other places where things are going wrong that I'm not aware of, as I'm still very new to ORK. Any help would be appreciated, including where to look to troubleshoot the problem.
  • edited January 2018
    @Whatexists There are so many reasons why it might not be working. Did you add the control map to that particular combatant? Did you set the ability to be learned or used at a particular level or condition? Can you post the screenshot of the ability and combatant setting using the ability.
    Post edited by henkesky1 on
  • It's most likely that the ability (or other action that should be used) can't be used at that time, e.g. trying to use a battle only ability in the field.
    Make sure the ability can be used when you try to use it through the control map.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2018
    Alright. So. The ability is a combat ability (light attack and heavy attack) and I'm trying to use it in combat. The ability works correctly when used through a battle menu, but not with the control maps.

Combatant Control Settings
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LE-sjwXgo3a3Me5IJt3vyHcAWw-zK5VE

Combatant Attack Settings 1
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UWs4kgUVjKfgFBNCqtVfNj8c9cWrClC3

Combatant Attack Settings 2
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VqWUuUT3Xjgo03GWZQxtlucOhwaAy6KZ

Light Attack Input Key Settings
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WHdS4pjChs_VbONBQ9n1ntfRTsFIvEvE

Light Attack Control Map 1
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CKp9EDkYanzqqYCIUQdE9DngnUl5E6iF

Light Attack Control Map 2
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mN47_EiuGqTaRv6E2nWJtr41usE9VYku
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • What are the target settings of your ability? Expecially Target Type and Target Range?

With your current setup, the control map should work (if the ability's target settings are correct), but should trigger the target selection for the ability when the cursor isn't over a valid target.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2018
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • A use range of 1 (if the name is correct) will only allow using the ability pretty close to a target.
  • Where can I see what those ranges correlate to in terms of world space units?
  • Clicking on the edit icon (with the lines and the pencil) right next to it will take you directly there. Otherwise, the range templates are set up in Battle System > Battle Range Templates.
  • Alright. I've double checked the range to target and made sure that the range is accurate (I set it to range template 2 and made sure that I was trying to use the ability from within 2 world units of the target.) It still doesn't work. Is it possible that the "Cursor Over Target" setting isn't working right? Would the combatants or their prefabs need anything attached to them to make that work right? Does it just use the mouse or do I need to specifically set up a cursor?
  • The combatants need a collider and be placed on a layer that's defined by the layer mask of the Mouse/Touch Control settings in Battle System > Battle Settings > Target Settings.
    Also, check if something might be blocking the raycast, e.g. another collider on a layer that's hit by the raycast).
  • Does a Character Controller component work as a collider for this?
  • Yes, since a character controller is a collider :)
  • Alright. so the cursor appears to be set up correctly and is working fine when I use a battle menu to select the action to be taken (also the inputs to have the battle menu get pulled up with a button press also work regardless of which input I set it to). But the control maps still seem to not be doing anything at all.
  • Hm ... have you tried without using the cursor over options in the control map?
    That should bring up the target selection when used.

I think I'll need a small Unity test project where this happens to check this out. If you can set one up (e.g. your project reduced to a single scene with all unneeded assets removed), please send it (or a download link) to contact@orkframework.com.
  • Alright. I will create that and send it to you. It might take me a little bit of time. I'll let you know here when I'm done and have sent it.

Meanwhile I've turned off all of the target selection options on the control maps (Only Cursor Over Target, Use Cursor over Target, use Auto Target, Need Targets). Nothing happens. I've also turned on only Auto Target and it still doesn't seem to work. I haven't set up the auto target settings though.