Using real time battles, I'm looking to allow the player to change into a different combatant by interacting with an object.
  • You can do this with the event system, e.g. there's the Set Player node for this :)

There are also settings to change the player from one member of the player group to another. You can find them in Base/Control > Game Controls in the Group Member Keys settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I had some trouble trying to set it up in the event system. What actor settings should I use? Will I need to use nodes like join or leave active group?
  • If the game object you interact with is the combatant you want to join (i.e. it has the event interaction attached), you'd set up an Object type actor with Event Object enabled.

Set Player will automatically join the combatant to the player group if it isn't yet part of it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The game object is a sphere. Does the game object need to be a combatant?
  • If it's not a combatant, you'll have to use something else as the combatant to change to ... where's the combatant coming from you want the player to change to?
  • After some testing I found some settings that will work for me.

Here's my game event settings:

Actor: Player

Leave Active Group Node:
    Use Game Object enabled
    Delete enabled

Join Active Group Node

Spawn Player Node
  • That removes the current player from the group and adds another new combatant to it - if that's what you wanted to do :)
  • edited March 2018
    With this setup I noticed things like gold and other things carry over between combatant changes but, not abilities that come from the Learn Ability node.

Is the active group why certain things carry over?
    Post edited by FreedTerror on
  • You're most likely using the Group inventory, so that will not change (unless you also change the active player group). Learning abilities is usually combatant based, i.e. they're only available for that specific combatant.
    However, you can also learn abilities as Group Abilities, making them available for the whole group.
  • Stuff the player assigns to shortcut slots doesn't carry over between combatant changes. Is there any way to make shortcut slots carry over?
  • You can change your shortcuts to use Group Shortcuts, but if you assign a shortcut to an ability of an individual combatant, this will not be available for another combatant.
  • With this node setup I noticed that it will carry over stuff the player assigns to shortcut slots but only for the first combatant that changes.

Leave Active Group Node:
    Use Game Object enabled
    Delete disabled

Join Active Group Node:
    Use Inactive enabled

Spawn Player Node

I ran into this issue with these node settings.

After the player assigns an ability to a shortcut slot and uses the event to change combatants it will display the wrong abilities in the menu screens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkxu7jrbumfm1oo/Screenshot 2018-03-06 21.34.41.png?dl=0

Any idea why it's doing that?

With this event setup you would have to assign stuff to shortcut slots by hand every time you change combatants. Its a big hassle for the player.

Leave Active Group Node:
    Use Game Object enabled
    Delete enabled

Join Active Group Node

Spawn Player Node

Is Group Shortcuts the way to go here?

• With wrong abilities, do you mean they're from the old player or from the new player?
    If they're from the old player, try enabling Battle Group User in the menu screen's Combatant Settings.

Assigned shortcuts are bound to a combatant - using group shortcuts would allow you to display the same shortcuts for different combatants, but the assigned shortcut (e.g. an ability) will still be from the old player.
  • edited March 2018
    The abilities were from the old player. Enabling battle group user in menu screens seems to fix this.

This is the event that I'm using to change combatants:

Leave Active Group Node:
    Use Game Object enabled
    Delete disabled

Join Active Group Node:
    Use Inactive enabled

Spawn Player Node

I'm also using group inventory.

Thanks so much GIL :)
    Post edited by FreedTerror on