How does one call a global event from within another global event, and then continue along with the initial event? I'm trying to setup, as part of my character generation scene, an alternate event for generating skills for my combatant based on a selected set of criteria prior to said event. I need it to simply run through the process so that I can immediately transition back to the original event and finish selecting options, but what's happening instead is that both events run concurrently when I get to the "Call Global Event" step, and I cant proceed. Also, in the error menu, it seems to be constantly generating a list of errors related to my UI style (because I haven't yet properly created one), which tells me that it's still running through something.

It doesn't appear to be the dreaded infinite loop, because nothing freezes, and I can see in my HUD off the the side that the skills appear to have generated properly. Also, there seem to be two instances of the HUD, one overlayed and slightly offset to the other. How do I close out my secondary event once it's complete so that I can continue?

FYI: In order to reference my combatant in the secondary event I've set it up to share everything, and in its initial node created a new actor 0 object reference, added the same combatant as was added in my primary event, and joined the active player group. I don't know whether this is the correct procedure or not, but it's what I've found by troubleshooting through errors siting that no object was being referenced while attempting to generate stats. Please tell me whether this is correct, or if there might be a better way to ensure that the created character retains all of their stats as generated when the events are through.
  • The Call Global Event node definitely waits for the event to finish. However, actors are not shared between events. Can you give more details on your actor setup for both events?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sure, I start by setting up the player spawn event to run exactly as laid out in the tutorial, and set the 'Initial Game Event' of my chosen combatant to run my character creation scene. That way, there's already an actor spawned in the scene to allocate stats. The 'Chargen' event then sets its initial node to clear found items (for no reason that I'm aware of) and creates an 'Actor 0' set to player with 'Use Scene Items' checked. Waypoints and prefabs remain untouched.

The next node adds a combatant to Actor 0. The battle is set to 'Real Time', the faction is '0: Player', and the combatant I've selected is '1: Template'. 'Use Start Inventory', Use Start Equipment' and 'Use Init Event' are all checked, while Level and class level settings are left as default.

(*Note- I'm going to need to change those settings later in the event depending on which race is selected, but I haven't gotten to that point. I'm assuming there's a simple enough method to accomplish this. I may also need to switch out the actual combatant held by 'Actor 0' while retaining all of the Stats, Abilities and Attributes assigned to it, but I'm similarly confident of that step. Please do not crush my hopes, unless I'm just wrong and reality would step in to do so regardless.) #RespectTheSafeSpace

Anyhoo, the next node is 'Join Active Group' with 'Use Game Object', 'Show Notification' and 'Show Console' all checked, although never once in playing through the scene have I been notified of anything prior to the first dialogue choice, so I guess that prints into a debug console or something that I'd need to setup, which is good because nobody wants to see all that crap anyway. The combatant for this step is set to 'Actor', and the actor is 'Actor 0'. And that's the setup. From there it determines sex, race, subrace, rolls the default core stats depending on what's selected, confirms the roll, etc.

The sheer span of this event is why I decided that the skill rolls needed to be made a separate event for the sake of keeping things reasonably tidy, otherwise vertigo and motion sickness might occur while debugging. If there's a way to zoom formula and event maps, please let me know, although I'd like to parse this step off into a side event regardless, and I'm sure it's not the last time I'll need to do something similar. Battle events come to mind, but that's down the road.

The 'Call Global Event' node in question here, that runs through a semi-random skill selection process, has the three boxes: 'Share Variables', 'Share Selected Data', and 'Share Found Objects', all ticked. That's what I meant when I said it was set to 'share everything'.

I've also copied and moved the 'Call Global Event' to the front end of my formula for quicker testing, so I haven't yet tested whether it correctly retains the stats from each event; I've simply noted that a HUD display showed the skills were rolled and assigned by the secondary event.

The 'Event Settings', 'Add Combatant' and 'Join Active Group' nodes are all set up exactly as previously described, down to the battle type being selected as real time, except that I didn't set the initial node to clear found objects. I guess what I'm seeing, however, based on your comment, is that there are indeed two HUDs being displayed in overlay, one from each scene, and the second event has merely gathered its own independent version of Actor 0 and assigned a new instance of the 'Template' combatant before changing its stats, which is muy no bueno.

How then do I correctly transfer my uniquely altered versions of combatants into a new scene like the one I'm attempting to utilize here, and how do I tell a scene to close out when finished so that another scene, which might be calling it, can then proceed on its own? Is it only possible to transition into a new scene via 'Call Global Event' by finishing the prior scene? Because that's certainly doable (*IF* I can seamlessly transfer *ALL* of my data from scene to scene), but it will also make my events folders into more of a complex, choppy boggle that I'll have to continually sort through. I guess, if that is indeed the case, I'll make plans to start naming my events accordingly-as part 1, 2, 3 etc.-and perhaps then splice everything together into new subfolders. I just need to figure out what can be done through ORK, and nail down a routine for best practices to prevent stumbling over my workflow.

• ThreeNippledWanda said: The next node adds a combatant to Actor 0. The battle is set to 'Real Time', the faction is '0: Player', and the combatant I've selected is '1: Template'. 'Use Start Inventory', Use Start Equipment' and 'Use Init Event' are all checked, while Level and class level settings are left as default.
    Stopped reading here, as I think this is the issue. Your actor is the player, which is the leader of the player group, i.e. it already is a combatant (and also already joined to the player group).

You either need to change your start event to not add the player and spawn it and do all this in your character creation event, or remove adding the combatant and joining it in your creation event.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!