Hi GiL. And everyone. Coming back to my game after deciding to use cheaper assets. I hope everyone has been doing well. I have a monster whose model disappears when he runs up to me for the fight. I have a character controller on him. Pretty snug..rigidbody..damage dealer and zone..he is using legacy animations. I had to shrink his model down as it was too huge as the fbx.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. 2018 is my decided year to finish this game according to a book i am writing. So it has a point this time.

Cheers
  • Did you check in the scene view if the enemy is really destroyed? Could be that it's just placed at the wrong position :)

Anyway, whatever happens is probably done by the battle start event, I'd check there if you e.g. destroy the enemies.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok thank you GiL. I will check it out.
  • edited March 2018
    Well that worked out well. Upon opening Unity this morning and testing the guard, he did not disappear. But he jerks from an idle stance between attacks. I had trouble with the mechanim tutorial and ended up changing it a bit. It might be the model, or my animation settings. I will follow the tutorial closer on my next model character. we will see. Good to hear from you GiL. Thank you.

edit: i am working on a prison scene where my character is an escaping prisoner. Does anyone have any ideas for gameplay in that? So far I have locked doors and he has to get the keys from the guards, that is about it. Was wanting to add more. Any ideas greatly appreciated !! thanks.
    Post edited by silverglade1 on
  • edited April 2018
    My knights death animation wont show .i set it in ork animation for him..layer 2. I am using mechanim animations. Any more help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ps. please see my mechanim controller here.

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/tree.png

i did not know to get the tutorial to work, so i did it this way, but don't know how to put in the death animation node. all of my mechanim animations are "crossfade". the rest of the parts seem ok, i am pretty sure it is this controller I don't know how to do. So far the only thing that does not work right is the death animation never plays.
  • Can you also post your animation's setup in ORK?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2018
    I solved the death animation. My static knights have the walking animation playing and I cannot get them to stand there idle. I had to put Walk, Walk, attack, for the nodes in the animation controller, then for the animation in ork, i had to put Walk, for Idle, because I could not get the legs to move while the knight was chasing me.

Here is the animation setup.

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/animation1.png

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/animation2.png

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/animation3.png

and my nodes for the animation controller

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/tree.png

Please any more help would be great. Thank you.
  • edited April 2018
    my death event was set to "death" and not "Death" . On google i searched "Ork forum can't play death animation".
  • Hm, your ORK setup (state name) for walk and run don't match the name of your animator states.
  • edited April 2018
    Those are just the names I gave them. The animations inside the states, their names, match the animations in Ork setup animation. So that walk 0 in animator, has "Walk" animation referred to . And is set up as "Walk" in ork. The node names might not match, but the animation names in the animator and the Ork animation setup match.

I had to set up Idle as "Walk" in Ork, because the model would not walk after me if I did not do that. he would just float with legs still. But now, because I have in animator Walk, for default state, and "Walk" for Idle in Ork, he walks when he is supposed to be Idle.

So I know it is wrong, but I don't know how to set it up so that the knight stands still in idle, then walks when attacking me (legs move) following me. I am close, his legs move now when following me, but the problem is his legs move when he is idle before I attack him. I know it is both my Ork setup and animator setup that is wrong. Do you know how I can make it correct? Thanks.

edit. i just made the node names match the ork animation names, still wrong. Also, do you know how to increase the distance that my knight follows me? The range? He stops following me when i am not that far away. Please.
  • It might not be the source for your issue, but ORK calls Mecanim animation based on the defined state name, and that's the name you defined for the state nodes in the animator - that's at least the case when you use the Play or Cross Fade play modes instead of playing your animations through parameters.

Anyway, other things to check:
    - in Base/Control > Animation Types, is your Death animation type set up as the Death Type
    - is your combatant's death battle event playing the Death animation type
  • edited April 2018
    Thanks. I fixed the death animation, it works well now. (battle death event was set to lowercase death and not Death) Here is a screenshot of my animation controller setup, the names are correct, but I have no script controlling them. In Ork and in the animator both, I set the Idle animation to "Walk" because he would not walk when following me. But now, he walks when standing still, then walks following me, always walking LOL.

I need to get him to stop walking when Idle. and also, do you know how I can increase the range that he follows me? please. thanks again for answering.
    edit: I think i need a script that controls parameters to switch the animation states. I looked on google and could not find any script that I could alter to fit my animations. I don't know how to write one myself, and the tutorials are mainly for animating based on key presses.

here is the shot.

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/newtree.png
  • ORK offers the Auto Animation settings for handling idle/walk/run animations. They're set up in the combatant's movement and animation settings (at the bottom of the combatant's settings). In case it's not working, try enabling Use Position Change to calculate the movement speed used for animations based on the combatant's change in position each frame (as otherwise it'd get the speed from character controllers, rigidbodies or other such components, which might not be what's driving your combatant).

The range your group members follow the player is defined by their move AI (in the follow leader settings).
  • Thanks GiL. I worked for the past few hours trying to fix it so the knight walks. I got it so that he starts idle, follows me, attacks me, and his legs go halfway through the walk animation and pause and he floats after me. I am not sure if i improved the follow range, but i will just leave it the way it is for now. I had auto animation and use position change on, but capitalization, wow. that matters. I had in ork walk instead of Walk. LOL.

I want to get the legs moving still. He does walk when he first follows you, then stops his legs after that.

my states are insane now. totally sorcery and guessing.

here.

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/mechanimstates2.png

and what I set the animation settings in Ork here

https://aestrelon.neocities.org/SCREENSHOTS/ork.animator.png

thanks for helping me. I may have to just accept it as this is the only pack of knights on the asset store for a decent price, and really, the only pack of knights period.

• edited April 2018
    Hm, does the animator controller even have a run animation?
    Your current setup will quickly change from walk to run, if there's no run animation, the walk will just stop. In that case you might want to just use the walk animation as the run animation type as well.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Thank you. Just decided I will make them all walk along waypoints, disguising the fact that they are always walking . LOL. so it will appear to be normal. that's the best I can do for these knights. Hopefully I will have better luck with other models. This is the worst one. No wonder it was a full 10 pack of knights for $10. no animations!!! or not correctly done anyway. controllers not set up. I got what I paid for. Thanks so much for your patience GiL. I hope you have a great day. Also, God bless you for making Ork. It makes my dreams as a kid come true. I think I said that before to you. :-)