edited April 2018 in Makinom Support
Hi GiL,

I'm planning to add some sort of multiplayer in my game. I was thinking about the easiest way, which is the 'Offline Multiplayer'.

There would be a button In-Game e.g. 'PvP Battle', where player can click, little HUD pops up showing players (offline/online-doesn't matter). Another click would battle the player with his predefined group of combatants that every player has to set-up in his e.g. 'Armory'. It would be his 4 combatants vs enemy 4 combatants that AI controlled.
At the end of the battle, winner would gain some 'PvP points' and loser would lose some. Matchmaking would be based around those points.

It's a turn-based mobile game that would require low-bandwidth. So I'm thinking about doing it via Unet because Makinom can work with it.

Was thinking about using Client nodes with that. Do you think it is possible or do I require some additional scripting?
Post edited by Machal on
  • Hm, hard to tell ... generally, you'd probably be able to get the status information of the other player's combatant through Makinom.
    However, I think it'd be far easier to write a custom script for this.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Since I'm not a programmer, it won't be easier actually :D but thanks for info, I'll try to check the nodes and see what I can do.

What about some lobby via HUD, where one player connects and is a server, then others can connect to him?
  • Makinom has nodes for starting a server or connecting clients, but anything more you'll have to set up yourself.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2018
    gamingislove said: Hm, hard to tell ... generally, you'd probably be able to get the status information of the other player's combatant through Makinom.
    However, I think it'd be far easier to write a custom script for this
    I'm going through tutorials on Unity Multiplayer...they all use the Network Controllers and stuff, where they use Player prefabs to join the network lobby and the spawn then in exact scenes.

Want to create a simple lobby with basically 2 clients against each other. One is me and second is enemy player, because it's a turn-based 1v1, simillar to Heroes of Might and Magic.

I am using menu screen to display player battle party and available combatants, so they can change and switch their combatants to what they want.

I would like to see enemy player Battle Group, though I would have to network them.
    Now, since I will network them, can I use Menu Screens, as they will update?
    Or do I have to set up a HUD that will be set to auto update every 1s?

Can I use ORK Battle Component for networking 2 players against each other in Active Time Battles?

I'm using ORK for spawning everything, player combatants, their spells and effects. Should I put NetworkBehaviour script in every prefab that may be spawned in the battle?
    Post edited by Machal on
  • I think everything that is synced needs to use network behaviours to do that? It's been a while since I worked with UNET :)

Menu screens are usually used for the player, i.e. having the other player's group (which is an enemy to the player) here is probably not the best solution, so I'd go for a HUD. You'd still have to somehow sync the enemy group with the other player's group, i.e. which combatants are in the group, their status, etc.
  • Yeah, they do...jesus, that's hundreds of prefabs that will have to be networked...our game is really big.

Hm, don't know how to network UI's, though I'd assume, that using Unity UI for this in a standalone scene and putting network behaviours in the UI elements might do the trick?

Just to figure out, how to setup that UI with ORK...