edited May 2018 in ORK Support
I changed the title of this thread because I figure I will confine my many questions into one thread

I will put this icon where there are issues that haven't been solved, to make it easier for you: image

There are a few mechanics I want in my game that I'm not sure how to go about implementing through ORK, if they are possible. Can you please let me know if they are, and what I should be doing to put it in?

[SOLVED] 1. An ability system similar to Final Fantasy 9:
a) There are special weapons that have abilities associated with them. On equip, the ability becomes available, but also have an AP system to learn that ability and have it available when the weapon is no longer equipped.
b) Each weapon has 2-4 abilities that can be acquired, each becomes unlocked when the previous one is learned.

^ Now... I have some basic idea of how to accomplish this with some variables, weapon levels and ability requirements, but if there is an easier way I'd obviously prefer that.

2. Multi-combatant combo attacks, like seen in Chrono Trigger:
a) Becomes learned as an ability for the members of the attack when certain prerequisites are met (such as abilities learned or level achieved)
b) Ability becomes available in the battle action menu when ATB bars of the required combatants are full
c) Uses up the turn of all combatants involved in the move

^ This one isn't something I really need, but if it's possible I'd love to try it.

Thanks.
Post edited by Natnie on
Olive Branches ~ in development ~ now with a WEBSITE!!!
  • edited May 2018
    [SOLVED] Another small question:
    I want most abilities to be able to target any combatant on the battlefield, but I want enemies to be the default target of offensive attacks and allies to be default for defensive moves, is this possible? Because right now any attack defaults to my allies first, so if I'm not paying attention I can easily attack myself by accident.

And lastly, an issue:

I set up a Critical Hit formula that works fine in the formula testing, but in the game it just does 0 damage and I don't know why. The only difference between target change and target critical change for the attack ability is the formula, so I don't know what's going on.
    ^ I somehow fixed that one just by fiddling with settings. I wish I knew what I did lol
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • OK I think I solved the previous post's question. I set the auto-target for attacks to combatant type Enemy, which I set up and will need to make sure all enemies are categorised as. That seems to solve the issue, though this will mean I will have to give all enemies their own abilities separate from the ones the allies use. If there is a better way to accomplish this let me know :)
  • edited May 2018
    Alrighty. So I took a few days to implement Mecanim into the ORK animation system, but I've still got bugs happening.
    I am testing with the Cyclops Soldier enemy found free in the Unity Assets store. I set up an animation controller for it and everything. It walks, it runs, it attacks... but it never dies. The battle finishes when the enemy's hp drops below 0, but the death animation doesn't play. It plays for my player party when they die, but the cyclops won't give me a break. He just stands there in idle pose.
    So I made a battle event and attached it to the cyclops's death animation in the combatant settings. It's supposed to play the death animation and then fade the enemy out. But none of it happens.
    I even tried directly activating the mecanim trigger, but still nothing.

??????

Additionally, I don't think he's dropping his loot? I haven't set up a menu yet so I can't tell if it gets added to the inventory, but I get no Gains messages even though I have them enabled.

Post edited by Natnie on
  • https://twitter.com/ashekirk/status/996721671040978944
    This is a video of the basic ATB battle I've set up. As you can see, all the animations function (most of them are placeholders, so don't worry about all the clipping issues) except the cyclops death. Any ideas?
  • 1) Use the weapon/armor Equipment Abilites for this. Equipping allows using the set up abilities and you can optionally learn them, e.g. through gaining AP (experience status value) in battle.
    Learning one after another can be done through the equipment ability's status requirement settings, requiring the previous ability/(abilities) to be learned.

2) Chrono trigger like team attacks are currently not available.

Enemies select targets based on the battle AI's found targets - i.e. as long as you first only select enemy targets for attacks (and ally targets for defensive/support stuff), you shouldn't have to set up different abilities for them.

The cyclop's death seems strange and should definitely happen, or let's put it that way, after the death event the cyclop's game object would usually be destroyed (unless you set it up in the combatant's death settings to keep the prefab).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 1) Thanks, I'll give it a go
    2) Oh well, can't have everything
    3) Hmm, then I'm not sure why the cyclops was attacking itself occasionally
    4) Yeah, I'm pretty baffled. I'll try with some other combatant and see if it does the same thing or not
  • edited May 2018
    Hmm, I encountered something when following the tutorial for setting up battle animations. The Escape event may need a final "calculate" step to actually function. At least that seems to be what happened for me.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • Regarding the cyclops death animation, there is one quick and dirty way I've managed to do it. Since the death event is just not triggering at all, I added an enemy group death animation to the battle end event.
    However, this will only work when there's only one enemy, so I'm still quite concerned about this bug. I have no clue why it's happening :/
  • edited May 2018
    [SOLVED]

Alright, this is curious. I added a second enemy to the party. The second one DOES play his death animation when he is the first to die, but he doesn't fade out, just disappears. I played with the fade function and I can get it to change colours, but the alpha doesn't seem to be fading at all.

I also finally got the loot, but only for one of the enemies - presumably the one that died using the proper event.

Nut of the problem: So, it appears there is something about the battle end event that is taking priority over the enemy death event, preventing it from being played and the enemy being registered as properly dead so that the gains are given.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited May 2018
    I've been trying to debug the fading issue and I believe it's because my shaders aren't supporting transparency. The only problem is, using Fade or Transparent rendering modes makes the cyclops rendering glitch out, so that you see the overlapping polys render from front to back, ie you can see the inside of his mouth on the outside. How in the world am I supposed to fix this?!?!
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited May 2018
    Here's some shots of the issue.

Now I could potentially change the Material of the character to some generic "fade away" mat or something, but I don't know how. This would also be helpful for a petrify effect, change the material to a stone texture for example.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited May 2018
    Another query [SOLVED]:
    I see that you can separate interaction HUDs by type of interaction, but is it possible to change the interact text arbitrarily?

For example, an event interaction with an NPC labelled "Talk" but an event interaction for opening a door labelled "Open", etc

Edit: Never mind, I found the Custom type option.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited May 2018
    I have stumbled upon a possible bug.
    Under Shop Layouts, when you turn on the Show Title option on List Box, the game freezes upon opening that list box, and I get this error in the console:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ORKFramework.Shop.ShopScreen.ShowItems ()
    ORKFramework.Shop.ShopScreen.ShowMode (ShopMode mode)
    ORKFramework.Shop.ShopScreen.Closed (ORKFramework.GUIBox origin)
    ORKFramework.DialogueContent.Closed ()
    ORKFramework.GUIBox.Tick (Single t)
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler.Tick (Single t)
    ORKFramework.GUIHandler.Tick ()
    ORKFramework.ORKCore.FireTick ()
    ORKFramework.ORKHandler.Update ()
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited May 2018

So this time I managed to do something that not only stopped the game test, but crashed Unity entirely. And that was using the following text in a game menu window:
    #currency.icon0 #currency.inventory0 #currency.name0
    Game Time: #time
    The problem seems to be related to the Area code. It crashes because I'm not in any area? In that case I don't think I ever want to use that code!!

Nothing currency or money related seems to function in this information menu part. Which, I guess is fine, I can still show the money amount in the inventory menu.

The time functions fine.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited May 2018
    Oh wow I just tried to edit an emoji into this post and the whole thing vanished. I'll keep that in mind for the future :|

So this was what I asked here:

image Is there a way to hide a battle command until it becomes available? For example, hide the "magic" menu item for each user unless at least one magic ability is available?
    Post edited by Natnie on