• Found the source for your poison issue - it's a bug and will be fixed in the next update :)
    It's caused by the critical effect's priority, that's why it wasn't happening on my end.

As for the load times, the long time at game start is to be expected, as ORK's project asset is loaded when loading the first scene with a game starter. Due to how Unity handles asset references, this also causes all used stuff (e.g. prefabs) to be loaded.
    Sadly, there's no way around that - I've looked for a better solution for this since the start. The only way would be to go back and use the Resources folder, which pretty much makes working on a large project a huge pain in the ass ...

The hanging on a critical hit is definitely not normal and could be caused by something looping, halting everything. Is this also happening in the project you sent me?
    This is only happening in a built game, right?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Awesome, glad to hear it'll be fixed!!

Not sure if it happens in the project I sent, but yes it only happens in a build.

The hang happens only once in any playthrough, and always at some point where it either has to bring up a menu, calculate critical damage, or calculate battle gains. At least those are the three cases I have found it happening.
    I will have to try it on a loaded game and see if it happens there too.
    Olive Branches ~ in development ~ now with a WEBSITE!!!
  • OK I tested it with the version I sent you, and I did encounter a delay when doing a critical hit. It was about 4 seconds rather than the 39 in the full size game. What do you think it is? Seems like there is a connection between the delay and the amount of game assets?
  • I've used the load time at launch as an opportunity to display the default controls, and play some cheesy elevator music.

• edited July 2018
    OK, so I just tested the regular game, and there is no obvious delay opening the item menu after loading up a saved file. So whatever is happening, it apparently only happens once ever per new game.

Could there be some kind of XML generated to serve as a template for a new game that would act like a save game, maybe? idk just throwing out ideas.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited July 2018
    Wait.... what....
    Just loaded up a new game and the item menu came up instantly...

What is going on??!!

OK maybe I should send you my build, can you please let me know if the issue occurs for you?

All I can think is that the hang only occurs once per... restart of my computer or something. So like, maybe it's something wrong with my own system?!
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • Alright - as far as I can tell, this has something to do with using dynamic fonts.
    At least that's what my tests resulted in.

Dynamic fonts can cause - as the name suggests - dynamic generation of textures for the font. E.g. using a bold font style for a font without the bold font texture will generate the bold font texture. This happens once per play, i.e. it's generated on first use (e.g. a critical damage notification) and kept until the game ends (exiting the application).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2018
    Hmm, I see! I may be able to rectify that problem, then.

It's worth noting that in the test where I had no delay, Unity was still open in the background... so that might have been the reason.
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • edited July 2018
    So in theory, if I go through everything and change any font style back to Normal, it shouldn't have the delay, right?

Pleased to report that I have stopped the issue from happening. Now, am I stuck not being able to bold & italicise portions of my text, or is there a way to switch fonts mid-dialogue?
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • No, sadly not ...
  • Oh well, I can deal with that
  • *deep sigh*
    OK, new issue. I've been setting up my magical abilities, and for some reason they are doing 0 damage to my enemies, while when the enemies use it on my characters, it does cause damage. In the formula calculation testing, the base magical damage should be doing around 1000 damage to the enemies, but instead it's doing 0, even though the minimum is supposed to be 1.

@gamingislove I will probably need to send my project again because this has me pretty stumped. I'll set it up so that the characters have access to the spells I'm trying to make work.
  • Additionally, it seems like removing equipment with the "keep unequipped" checked doesn't appear to be keeping the equipment. Can you look at that for me too pls? I have an event that tries to keep the equipment repeatedly but I ended up having to add new ones to the inventory because it just wasn't working.
  • edited July 2018
    oooooookay.
    I did a new build of the game, and guess what, the magic is doing damage. In the build, but not in the Unity player.

What the????? I'm going to test the Unity player again just in case.
    edit: yep, still 0. HELP!
    Post edited by Natnie on
  • Ok, ok.

I've worked out the problem, I think.

Attack Attributes. I'm not really sure how they work? So a 0 for the attribute makes them immune to that attribute? So does a high value make them weak or strong against it?