Hi, I purchased ORK a couple of days ago and have been playing around with it. I wanted to ask, how do i create a waypoint that an NPC can move to then back to his original position.

I havent seen any tutorials on it and even some of the older topics dont have images anymore.
  • In the Combatant Spawner/Add Combatant that you assign to your NPC, there's a Waypoint Settings and a button to add waypoints. In each field, assign a null Game Object that you've placed somewhere in the scene that you want the NPC to wander along.

(Here I have my NPC, Cee'Ar, who has three waypoints added.)

Also, in the Combatants > Move AIs in the ORK editor there's a Waypoint Settings box that has fields for the stop distance, the no combatant radius, reset time and enabling random patrolling in the scene.

• Thanks. It seems a little bit complicated for just normal NPC's that you dont battle. I'm trying to create a town and need NPC's to populate the town. Is this the method I can use for creating the waypoint?
  • Are you needing cosmetic NPCs that just wander or NPCs that allow for some degree of interaction?

AFAIK, any "named" NPC that utilizes a Move AI or other Combatant component function, such as ORK-generated waypoints, must fall under the Combatant list. That's whether you fight them or not, since they're under a group as well (like Allies, for example.)

In the tutorial, there's a couple of NPCs in the Town scene that aren't fully fledged Combatants but they also don't have any Move AI associated and are basically inert objects that serve as a shop or such.

NPCs can be instantiated via script too but need their level, class, class ID, etc. initialized. so that may also be beyond what you need too.

Personally, for objects that don't require any interaction whatsoever and just moving around waypoints, I use DoTween. I use that for large flying crows in a graveyard scene I have since they can't use a Navmesh to wander.

• Using ORK, you can only use the move AI (in combination with the NPC being a combatant) or doing it manually via the event system.

Alternatively, you can also use Makinom (which is available for free) for this - it also includes a waypoint feature.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hey @gamingislove, would makinom be easier for adding movement to NPC's? I've tried using the move AI/adding as a combatant, but can't get it to work. Would I need to make a town a battle zone?
  • Makinom offers the Waypoint Path component for setting up paths for game objects to follow, but you'd have to go through Makinom Interaction Machines for interactions in order to be able to stop them when the player talks to them.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!