So I've found that I can assign stat values to the object variables of any game object that calls an event by setting Actor 0 as Game Object, which is useful to say the least. How, though, do I plug those object variables back in to change a stat's value? The 'Variable' option under the 'Change Stat Value' node doesn't seem to do the trick.
  • edited July 2018
    The following setup should work:
    - set Value Type to Game Variable
    - set Variable Origin to Object
    - enable Use Object and select the actor with your object variables
    - set Variable Key to the variable key the value should come from (has to be a float variable)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yeah, that describes my setup. I was thinking the problem had something to do with my misunderstanding of how to use 'Variable Key', but I guess something else is preventing the transfer. Incidentally, I'm using Actor 0 with 'event object' checked. 'Root' is not checked, but 'scene object' is checked (even though it shouldn't use one for this testing phase, since the player object is added by the 'Add Combatant' step). Also, I've tried placing the 'Status Value to Variable' nodes both before and after the 'Spawn Player' node and found that only the latter works, which would make sense but I just wanted to confirm that. Thanks.
  • If the actor is set up as event object, it'll use the game object the event runs on - i.e. make sure there are object variables attached to it. Scene object would just use a Scene Object component for the content information like name/portraits in dialogue, so that doesn't interfere with object variables.

Hm, could you send me a small Unity test project with your use case to contact@orkframework.com? A simple scene with that setup should be enough.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Would that entail just building the project with a couple scenes checked and then sending it? is there a file size limit?
  • I'd just need a simple project - a single scene with your setup where the issue occurs, including your ORK project, all needed events and some dummy prefab for your player.
  • So basically I'd just clone the project and strip everything down before sending it to you? Sure, I can do that. I guess I'll just need to make sure that I delete every trace of any licensed third party assets (Models, animation files, some Pixel Crushers stuff etc.) and then patch up whatever I break doing that.
  • Yep, pretty much :)
  • Update: This feature is working for me now. I lost about a month's worth of work due to a faulty surge protector--the fault was that I plugged my portable hard drive directly into the wall rather than a surge protector:?--and when I rebuilt my character generation/import/export event, this bit was functional. I have no way of determining what was broken about it before.