So I have setup my horizontal and vertical axes for menu input using 3 ORK inputs:
1) An axis button down
2) An axis button hold with delay
3) An aggregate of both 1 and 2

Button Down:

Button Hold:

Aggregate:

This works perfectly in the main menu, but in the battle menu only the hold mechanic seems to be working.. So in order to move the cursor at all i have to hold it for half a second and then it starts moving pretty quickly.

What am I doing wrong here?
  • Why are you using such a complicated setup in the first place?
    A regular Hold input without any timeouts is enough for handling menu input, as the Cursor Timeout setting in Base/Control > Game Controls handles scrolling through choices when holding the key.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I was trying to get the initial pause after the first move of about a half second, then the fast scroll.

I dont see a way to configure that using only a hold.
  • Hm, is your battle menu's GUI box using custom menu controls that only use the hold key? Otherwise I'll check it out, should work the same in all dialogues/menus that use the same input keys.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I don't seem to have any custom controls selected for any GUI boxes
  • Tested this and it's working fine on my end, although I'm using key codes instead of unity inputs.
    Anyway, next update will add a separate option for continued menu input to allow this behaviour without a complicated control setup :)
  • ok, I use the input manager to handle kb and gamepad controls the same, this didnt seem so complicated to me but i definitely cant get it to work in an atb battle menu.

Works fine in my main menus.
  • DIscovered a bit more about what is going on here. It seems to be just one of my input definitions is not working, only in battle menus.

For some reason this input definition just doesnt work in battle menus, though I cant seem to figure out why. It works fine in my main menu.
  • Found the issue you're having. It's basically the input manager input being smoothed by the sensitivity setting. You probably don't get this during other menus due to the game being paused and ORK using the raw axis in that case.

I'll add an option to use the raw axis in the next update to fix this. Otherwise I'd recommend setting up Key Code input keys for keyboard input instead of using the input manager.
  • Ok so testing out the new update and having some issues with analog stick input. Everything works perfectly with the keyboard and the direction buttons on my xbox controller, but the analog stick seems to be having issues with 'down' presses. It seems to work non-deterministically, about 20% of the time. I didn't actually measure this, its anecdotal.

This is my setup, the good news is that everything is consistent between game menus and battle menus now.
  • edited February 2019
    Hm, I'll do some tests.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Were you able to reproduce this?
  • Yes - the issue is that the Down input is recognized with a pretty low axis value, which is too low to be used by the menu input.

The next update will add a setting to force full axis value (i.e. 1 or -1) for down/up input handling in those cases.
  • Oh perfect thanks man!