-Are we able to display a combatant's object variables in the UI? I thought this was added a while back, but maybe it was just for items and abilities.

-Is it possible to give a combatant a higher level of an ability without flagging any of the ones below it? I had originally setup things like resistances, vulnerabilities etc. as different levels of the same ability, so vulnerability to silver might be linked to an ability called, "Traits_Vulnerabilities" level 11, and a vulnerability to Italian food might be "Traits_Vulnerabilities" level 5. The problem I discovered using this method is that I can't make something vulnerable to silver without making it vulnerable to garlic as well along with every other vulnerability proceeding it. I thought it was just a clever use of space, but I was wrong--so wrong! Or, was I? Hopefully there's a setting somewhere, perhaps hidden away in some far off dark corner of ORK where no sane developer would dare look, that can fix this issue.
  • ThreeNippledWanda said: -Are we able to display a combatant's object variables in the UI? I thought this was added a while back, but maybe it was just for items and abilities.
    Are you talking about HUDs or dialogues?
    I also remember adding it somewhere, but couldn't find it in combatant HUDs at first glance - I'll look into it.

ThreeNippledWanda said: -Is it possible to give a combatant a higher level of an ability without flagging any of the ones below it? I had originally setup things like resistances, vulnerabilities etc. as different levels of the same ability, so vulnerability to silver might be linked to an ability called, "Traits_Vulnerabilities" level 11, and a vulnerability to Italian food might be "Traits_Vulnerabilities" level 5. The problem I discovered using this method is that I can't make something vulnerable to silver without making it vulnerable to garlic as well along with every other vulnerability proceeding it. I thought it was just a clever use of space, but I was wrong--so wrong! Or, was I? Hopefully there's a setting somewhere, perhaps hidden away in some far off dark corner of ORK where no sane developer would dare look, that can fix this issue.
    Active abilities can allow changing the use level in menus, but you can't have an ability e.g. learn levels 1, 2, 5 and 11. Also, passive abilities only have the highest level's settings available, i.e. if you want things from level 1 also available in level 2, it has to be added there as well.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • "Are you talking about HUDs or dialogues?
    I also remember adding it somewhere, but couldn't find it in combatant HUDs at first glance - I'll look into it."

-I was referring to specifically to HUD's, like for a character menu, but it would be useful for dialogue as well. One useful feature would be to link the names and surnames of characters to an object's variables and then be able to easily display them as separate fields.

"Active abilities can allow changing the use level in menus, but you can't have an ability e.g. learn levels 1, 2, 5 and 11."

-Ability trees allow a developer to specify which ability level can be learned based on a set of varying criteria. Are you saying that levels can't be skipped by making the conditions of intermittent abilities greater, or completely different perhaps from certain higher ones set above it.

"Also, passive abilities only have the highest level's settings available, i.e. if you want things from level 1 also available in level 2, it has to be added there as well. "

-I thought that's how passive abilities were supposed to work--that only the selected level would be given to a combatant--but upon testing with a series of progressive status check nodes I've found that all of the levels prior to the highest one intentionally granted to a combatant are also given to them. The bonuses or penalties setup directly within a lower level ability may not transfer, but a formula will nevertheless assume that said lower level is also present by virtue of a higher one being there.
    My problem is that if I want to setup a formula that grants either bonuses or penalties only in the case of a specific level being granted to the combatant, I can't do it without triggering the changes of every other ability proceeding it. Setting up a combatant to develop X-ability level 3 on startup will also show it to possess levels 1 and 2 of said ability. How do I then communicate to my formulas that they're both wrong and stupid, and that they need to stop making decisions on their own about which abilities a combatant has, or doesn't have, without my specifically determining what's what for them and what not.
  • ORK 2.22.0 adds object variable support to all Combatant HUD elements with text.

Ability levels can be skipped, e.g. you can learn level 5 immediately or go from 3 to 20. However, the levels inbetween are also learned/available. This is valid for both active and passive abilities.
    Passive abilities only use the bonuses/effects of the highest available level - I'd need to know more about your formula to know what you're checking for.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!

• "ORK 2.22.0 adds object variable support to all Combatant HUD elements with text."

-That's awesome, thank you for including that! I'll wait until I'm sure it's stable and then download the hell out of it.

"Ability levels can be skipped, e.g. you can learn level 5 immediately or go from 3 to 20. However, the levels inbetween are also learned/available. This is valid for both active and passive abilities. Passive abilities only use the bonuses/effects of the highest available level - I'd need to know more about your formula to know what you're checking for."

-I use formulas for the most part to directly and automatically alter my stats for learned abilities rather than using the ability itself, as well as for various checks throughout events and the like. It offers a lot more flexibility in how and when certain features apply because I can, for instance, setup a precision bonus intended for a specific weapon type to check whether said weapon is actually being used to attack, as well as for what type of attack is being made and whether the weapon is held in the dominant hand, off-hand or both hands before applying any bonuses. But if that can't be done for certain instances then I can always find another avenue to the same effect, and already have in many cases since I feared there might be no direct alternative. Kind of a shame, but nothing that should prove anything more than a mild to moderate headache with a few hundred extra individual abilities tacked on. Object variables might even be a better way to go for some things, especially now that I can display them.
  • Still, how are your formulas checking the ability? I guess you're using a Check Status node - the ability level check will be valid if the combatant has at least the defined level.
    To check for different levels, you'd have to use a series of nodes (or a Status Fork node), checking from highest to lowest level.
  • "To check for different levels, you'd have to use a series of nodes (or a Status Fork node), checking from highest to lowest level."

-Yup, that about sums it up. My game has about 70 "skill" stats and well over 1000 abilities, so I've put a lot of work into setting up the nodes to run those as a series of checks. Fortunately, I figured out early that it's best to leave plenty of room for scabbing in changes and fixes.
  • Incidentally, what's the setting to display only the highest level of a learned ability in the Ability Tree menu?
  • That'd be set up by the Learn Requirements and having the menu screen only show those that can be learned or leveled up.
  • "That'd be set up by the Learn Requirements and having the menu screen only show those that can be learned or leveled up."

Right, that part is working fine. I was wondering about the option to show abilities after they're learned and how to limit that to display one instance per ability. I don't want to show that my character has learned X-Ability I, X-Ability II and X-Ability III, I just want to show that they've learned X-Ability III.
  • Hm, I'll look into it.