So... I have this issue where the NPCs and potentially the player(can't remember if it happens to the controlled member too) are falling through the ground during fights. They are fine in non battle areas/and other scenes. Any idea what could be going wrong?

• edited March 2019
    Also if I could derail my own thread...

I appear to have some sort of input lag in my battles?

When I want to do a base attack combo, I have to mash the attack button multiple times to make sure it goes through in time. Otherwise, it's really sluggish.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=brJ41Dnud0s

It could be seen in the first 8 seconds of this video. any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Ideally I'd like to press attack->attack->attack, not, attack->attack button multiple times before combo works
    Post edited by PBoTG on
  • Hm, could be that the combatant is either moved there by the battle event, or pressed down by a collider (which could also be caused by the battle event). Try playing with showing the colliders in the editor to see if that's going on.

As for the attack combo - the control map inputs can only fire an action when it can be used, e.g. if the player is already performing an attack, the next one can only be fired after the current attack finished.
    If you want to fire special attacks via button combos, you might want to switch to a Key Combo input key.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2019
    I'll definitely check the colliders when I open unity soon.

can I set up key combos where as I hit the button it plays a different attack animation? (i.e -> I hit it twice, I can do attack 1->attack 2)

Also, I asked a question a few months ago on how to stop character movement during damage/attack animation. How do I check the target in the event to make sure they don't move? I somehow did it where everybody stops moving, instead of the target lol.

EDIT: Definitely appears to be a collider issue. It only happens when monsters have a collider (tested with no colliders and no sinking!). What would be the best step in fixing this?
    Post edited by PBoTG on
  • To play a different attack animation, you'd have to set up different attack abilities to play them - unless you e.g. use a Wait For Input node in your battle events to check for the 2nd input and play a different attack.
    Key combos are just input keys that receive input after the defined key combination was used, the rest comes from your control map setup and is still restricted to only allow using an action when the combatant is able to.

If your combatants are moved via the move AI, you can e.g. block it during the entire battle event by enabling Block Actor Move AI in the Event Settings node. Or use a Block Move AI node (enable Use Object to block it for a defined object, e.g. the User actor).
    For the player, there are control block options in the settings of the battle system type you're using.

Your monsters should have colliders, otherwise they wouldn't be able to collide with stuff (e.g. the ground :D). Does the ground have a collider?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the extended explanation! I'll try the control block options later.

Anyway, the ground is a terrain so ground collider is a-okay (I think lol) I put the colliders back on to see when the combatant sinking happens and it appears to be whenever their colliders are touching or are very close? I tested with the enemy chasing the party and it only happened when they got to another characters collider space.

Maybe I missed a part in the tutorial though. Should all combatants have a similar radius with a sphere collider or something? That way the ai(both monster and party combatant) will stop before they collide?
  • No, but you can define a Box Radius setting in the combatant's prefab settings - this'll be used to take the size of a combatant into account when calculating movement distances.
    Although not using them should't really lead to combatant being pushed below ground.

I suspect some other collider (e.g. from a weapon) to cause this - or something else completely ...
    Could you pause the game when this happens and post a screenshot from your scene view, where all colliders around the combatant are visible?
  • Sure thing. It'll be in around 8 hours though unfortunately. I'll post a video and screenshots.

I hope this helps.
  • Hmm ... it doesn't look like it's a collider issue - maybe more of an animation issue, e.g. one of the animations placing the model lower.
  • edited March 2019
    Hmmm could it be? it doesn't happen when you are playing as that character(only when they are an NPC/AI) and happens to the Evil Pants Egghead too :(

I think what I might do is go through tutorial for moveai's/adding combatants to your party again and see if I missed anything essential. I guess I'll be back if I still have the issue. :>
    Post edited by PBoTG on
  • Or it's missplaced by the battle event (e.g. a movement node like Change Position) - due to the video I'd say it's at least not a collider issue :)
  • I figured out the issue. It was a battle event :)
  • Ha! I knew it :D
    Glad we got that sorted out :)