Hol' up game tutorials, there's a new demo project in town!

Mission Grid Battles is a small RPG project featuring tactical grid battles and some advanced gameplay mechanics. The project is built upon the demo project (i.e. the game tutorials).
You can download the complete Unity project (for Unity 5.6, 2017 and 2018) and learn more about it here: Mission Grid Battles

This isn't a tutorial project, rather something for you to check out in Unity and play around with. The project's page describes how to achieve some of the mechanics, but you'll have to look at the setup yourself to learn how to do them. Naturally, you can also ask questions here.

This project was created in colaboration with Kevin Zhang from Dead Monarchy Studios - thanks for your support throughout the years :)
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oh nice! Ill defintely give it a look. :D
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • All good GIL, thanks for all the help you've given me as well. Got more plans, so hopefully we can all do our part in expanding ORK!
  • edited April 2019
    Attack of opportunity <3
    Awesome! thanks. So much good stuff, going though it now.
    Post edited by hellwalker on
  • @gamingislove Hey, what setup does that thing where default action is move if you hover over grid and basic attack if you hover over enemy in range?
  • Grid move as the default action is handled by Player Auto Grid Move setting in your battle system's Grid Settings (e.g. for phase battles in Battle System > Phase Battles).

The basic attack by clicking on an enemy is a control map - see the Control Key 11 setup in the project's Shortcut control map :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • This sample project is amazing, exactly what I neeeded! I have been using it to learn ORK. I updated recently Unity to 2019 and the sample project ended up being broken. image Those are errors showed before you click play button. After you click play button there are new bugs: image
    It seems the update breaks nodes in events. You also can't move or move camera when you start a game.
    Could you fix that or share some workaround?
  • Makinom currently doesn't seem to be compatible with Unity 2019 due to the missing networking features in it. That might be the issue.

Also, if you've updated from a non-Unity 2018 version, update to ORK/Makinom for Unity 2018. If you've previously download the latest versions with e.g. Unity 2017, you'll first have to delete the downloaded assets from wherever Unity stores them (i.e. not the one imported in your project) in order to be able to download them again for a different Unity version.
  • I updated Unity from 2018.3 version, so it seems this is not the issue. Asking for posterity: what do you mean by deleting downloaded assets that are not imported? Previously I was updating Ork by just redownloading it from asset store and it worked just fine.

I will wait diligently for the new version of Makinom, then. Will you create a new sample asset version download for Unity 2019 or will we have to download 2018 and then update it with fresh Makinom/Ork?
  • Unity downloads assets from the asset store and stores them somewhere on your system (e.g. in Windows 10 it's somewhere in your user's AppData). Some assets (like ORK and Makinom) provide separate imports for different Unity versions, but the asset store doesn't recognize this and just keeps the one version you downloaded and doesn't let you download another one unless it was deleted.
    So, if you already have the latest ORK/Makinom version downloaded with Unity 2017 and want to have the Unity 2018 versions, you'll need to delete the asset from where Unity stores them to be able to download the other version.

Removing it from your Unity project doesn't help with that and only breaks stuff (e.g. references to components/scripts).

I'm currently working on a separate Makinom version for Unity 2019, will be available later this week - and I'll also provide a separate project for Unity 2019 :)
  • @JMR I hope you get it working mate, GIL and I spent a lot of time working on that template together. I've expanded quite a few features in my own game based on the template we've provided. Hope to see your game one day :)
  • @JMR
    The Mission Grid Battles project for Unity 2019 is now available for download here.
  • Thank you very much :)