Not sure what's happening but sometimes when I load a scene, the monsters spawned from combatant spawners are floating in the air and walking as if they are on ground.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Next question is real time battles. Ever since I took off auto target, every time I attack in an area with multiple enemies, the target menu comes up and I have to choose a target every single time I attack. But when I leave auto target on my characters get stuck in an attacking loop (Previous thread abut that! )

Another thing is when I come back from a battle scene, if I'm a certain character, they always fall through the floor. Unsure what that's about. It only happens when returning from battles lol?

Lastly, unrelated to battles, but is there any way to put event interactions on your party members? I wanted to have an option of talking to your party members, but once the game loads, the event file can't be found.

Thanks in advance!
  • Could be due to one of the range settings in Battle System > Battle Settings, e.g. the battle, AI or move AI range.
    Also, try adding a Place On Ground component on your combatant prefabs :)

As for the target selection - this will come up for actions that require a target. E.g. if you just want to use the ability and the player should just swing a sword or casts a spell and whatever is hit by a damage dealer should be damaged, you need to change the Target Range setting of the ability/item to None.

Falling through the floor is usually an issue when your combatant's 'root' position (i.e. local space X=0, Y=0, Z=0) isn't at the model's feet - this leads to the collider spawning in the ground and being pushed below it.

Did you put the event interaction on the combatant prefabs of your party members?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I'll have to look at the other two later since I'm not at my computer, but yup! It's the same prefab the combatant uses that I put the event on!
  • Hmm now my next questions(sorry!! I still have to test the other things you suggested!)

I switched to damage dealers and zones. Followed the tutorial - for characters that don't have weapons I just assigned the damage dealer to their body. Does that sound right?

I'm noticing when I first attack an enemy, then go to attack another, no damage is given on the second enemy. It'll only stay targeted on the first enemy (won't do damage if I'm not hitting the damage zone) until it's dead. Then I can move on to different enemies. Any idea what I could be messing up there?
  • edited July 2019
    did you remove all "calculate" nodes from the attack event?
    It sounds like it's still ignoring the damage dealer/damage zones.

If set up properly you technically should be able to hit multiple enemies in 1 swing, if they are colliding with a damage dealer.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • edited July 2019
    I did remove it. Still no dice.

I tried to follow the tutorial(I didn't do damage dealers when I did my first tutorial years ago lol.) but I guess I'm doing something wrong lol.

Do the colliders of the damage dealer use the collider on the mesh already? I noticed a tinier red box on my character that I can't seem to edit.

Here's a few screenshots.

Also in Damage Dealer Settings of the attack, it is set to weapon as well. :)

Enemies damage zone and dealer

Character damage zone

Character sword damage dealer

Any ideas? Thanks for the help in advance v_v
    Post edited by PBoTG on
  • I've got 2 ideas (assuming your damage dealer setup is correct):

1) Missing rigidbody component on damage dealer or damage zone, which leads to collission/trigger not being registered by Unity.

2) The damage dealer is activated too short to do actual damage.

The 2nd one is usually the case when using Mecanim animations and not specifying a duration in ORK's animation setup. Mecanim doesn't report any play times, so the Wait option in an animation node would only have an actual wait time if the duration is defined in ORK :)
    In short - damage dealer is activated at the start of the event, the event only lasts a frame (or maybe 0.1 seconds with short wait times) and the damage dealer is deactivated again, before being able to actually touch anything.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It's all legacy animations if that helps determine anything lol. Let me see the rigidbody stuff and get back to you
  • In that case the time issue should be fine (if the animation is long enough). As a test, you could add a longer wait time in your event (e.g. 1-2 seconds) and see if that leads to damage.
  • edited July 2019
    Hmm... Still no damage/received damage yet. I opened the tutorial project to compare it to mine, added rigid body, added wait after attacks, still nothing.
    Post edited by PBoTG on
  • Hm, could you send me a small Unity test project with your setup to contact@orkframework.com?
    E.g. upload it somewhere like dropbox and send me the link :)
  • Sent. Thanks.
  • For others running into this problem: Make sure to check your damage dealer's settings again :)
  • edited July 2019
    Hahahaha yup that's a big woops on my part.

Ok I have a few more questions.

Is there a way to add a HUD above the selected character the player is in battle? And have that hud disappear when you change your character and appear on the next character?

Can we cancel combatant party members give way during cutscenes? Only because if they walk too close to the character in a cutscene, because give way is activated(so they move out the way on the map!!) they also move away from the character in cutscene

Also i've noticed when I selected a character after using an item on them, a highlight stays and doesn't remove for the rest of battle. any idea what's up with that? I'm assuming I have some shader issue.

Next question. switching to damage dealers with no target makes the party ai's not run up to enemies and will just hit the air, is there really no other way to have the target menu not pop up if I have a single target? I know it doesn't in the demo with every hit, so I'm confused as to why it's even happening.

Sometimes my victory event doesn't play right away. The console logs just consistently say character does nothing?

Last question! I'm trying to do a change camera rotation on my touch camera but it's not doing anything. Here's the event. image
    Post edited by PBoTG on
  • PBoTG said: Is there a way to add a HUD above the selected character the player is in battle? And have that hud disappear when you change your character and appear on the next character?
    If by selected character you mean the combatant currently selecting an action - that should be possible by adding a status requirement to the display condition, checking for Is Choosing.
    PBoTG said: Can we cancel combatant party members give way during cutscenes? Only because if they walk too close to the character in a cutscene, because give way is activated(so they move out the way on the map!!) they also move away from the character in cutscene
    You can control the move AI in the events via nodes and also block the move AI of the event's actors via the settings in the Event Settings node.
    PBoTG said: Also i've noticed when I selected a character after using an item on them, a highlight stays and doesn't remove for the rest of battle. any idea what's up with that? I'm assuming I have some shader issue.
    Hm, my guess is that you're using the Blink Target Object settings in Battle System > Target Settings, and your combatant's prefabs aren't using the regular white color for their renderers? Try enabling From Current to start blinking from the current color instead of a defined color.
    PBoTG said: Next question. switching to damage dealers with no target makes the party ai's not run up to enemies and will just hit the air, is there really no other way to have the target menu not pop up if I have a single target? I know it doesn't in the demo with every hit, so I'm confused as to why it's even happening.
    Check out the demo's setup - it still uses the Single target for the attack, but the control map uses Use Auto Target to just select a target, since the damage is dealt by what is hit by the sword. The AI combatants running to their targets is handled by the move AI.
    PBoTG said: Sometimes my victory event doesn't play right away. The console logs just consistently say character does nothing?
    Sounds like the battle isn't over, e.g. due to some enemy not yet being dead (maybe waiting for the death battle events to be performed/finished).
    PBoTG said: Last question! I'm trying to do a change camera rotation on my touch camera but it's not doing anything. Here's the event.
    Is your camera control blocked while doing this? Otherwise the control will usually prevent any camera change as it simply changes it again :)
  • Thanks - I'll try out those changes and get back to you. Oddly enough this morning I thought about the give way issue and realized I could've just changed it from events lol...

Ok I think I have one last question that's unrelated to the others.

How would one perform a knockback during an ability? I attack an enemy, my damage dealer will collide with that damage zone, and I'd like to move them in the opposite direction by maybe half a unit or one.

I uh..tried taking off the z constraint of the enemies rigid body which made hilarious results lol.... (enemies flying all over the screen after getting hit!)