Maahn, it's been a while!
Took a year break of Game-developing because life happened. ahahah

Now that I'm back, I've been tweaking with ORK again, I still have 2.17.1, so bear with me!

I had a question for the Action Time (Not active time necessarily)... There is the option to make it decrease over time.
But it is also possible to make it decrease through an action or movement? I had the impression that "Default Ability cost" and such in the action settings were for that. But it's not. I want my actions not to be defined by how many "Actions per Turn" you can do, but rather by the time.

• Welcome back :)

It's possible, but not directly like e.g. the use costs. There are nodes available in the event system to change/check the action time, so you can do that in the battle events used to animate your actions.
    You can automate that somewhat for abilities and items, by defining their action time cost as an ability/item variable and use that in the event via selected data. The battle event automatically has the ability/item available as selected data via the action key.

Generally, the action time is decreasing in real time, i.e. if you've set it up to decrease during actions, it'd decrease as long as the action is performing (the time it takes for the battle events to finish).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you! I've checked it out. And it works doing it through battle events!

I do have a small other problem though. Ending turns immediately, is there a way to do that? Basically, I made my base attack (through the tutorial) I just added range to it (in abilities)... Now my idea was that you can use it whenever but only when in contact with the collider, it does damage... Simple melee, right? But now... When I "attack" out of range... it doesn't execute at all and even if my timer is at 0 sec, it waits for me to be in range to be executed. I added a "Check action time" in battles events and if the Action Time is greater than 0.1 it will still execute, but if failed it ends turn. But that doesn't do it. It also might be my fault for skipping through tutorials... For some reason, I'm still trying to find out why my enemy isn't able to walk towards me without "runToTarget".
  • Ending turns is done via a None action (e.g. in control maps, or the End battle menu item).

If your attack has a use range, you'd only be able to use it when there is a target in range.

The enemy (or any AI controlled combatant) can only move to a target if something tells it to do so - if you don't do it in an event, the combatant needs to have a Move AI, and it needs to be allowed to be used in battle.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I think I've explained it wrong. My action time is supposed to be ending turns when it runs out. But it won't end a turn if the action isn't executed correctly. For example... It's my enemy's turn to attack, he's in range (to detect me) so, he's "trying" to execute the attack action... But he can't because he can't walk to me yet. But because he can't reach me, his turn won't end until I basically move him towards me while pausing playmode. Basically, the turn will only end if he walked towards me and did his action. But I was wondering if there was a way to bypass that. Like him not executing the action if he can't reach.

Also, I've enabled Move AI and now my characters walking/running animation is gone. Nothing is changed in the animation, but I can't find anything that could've changed this.
  • edited August 2019
    Why can't he walk? I have my attack ability set to "Move to target" and even without messing with MoveAI (It's just set to default) stuff he'll automatically move to his target and attack on the same action. Also using active time, but not action time, so maybe there something odd going on with that.

Without messing with action time you can sort of have multiple actions per turn if an ability gives you 100% of your time bar back after the event completes. I did this for my move command, which allows you 1 movement per turn, after which you can still attack, and it has a 1 turn cooldown so you can't spam it. That probably isn't what you're going for, but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • You'll have to set up your battle AI to react to such a situation - e.g. set up a battle AI with a None action and add it as the combatant's last battle AI. This ensures that if no useable action is found, the combatant will do nothing (i.e. end the turn). Or, depending on your setup, do range checks before your action nodes (e.g. using an In Use Range node).

Try enabling Use Position Change in your combatant's movement settings to get the animations running.
  • edited October 2019
    Awesome! My enemy walks again. Also, I'm going to see if the Battle AI is where I need to be.

So, I got this weird thing happening. I've made a base attack cycle work (FINALLY!!!),
    But now the weird thing is... In "field" the cycle plays as intended. But during battle my animation just stutters... It twitches from idle to the first base attack and then back... I This happens in a matter of like 3 frames. The only way this will play correctly if I press "attack" and then let the animation finish, press "attack" again then let that animation finish and so on... I am not using different animations during battle.

And the last animation question. Is it possible to change at what time the damage animation plays with damage dealers... For example, my sword hits my enemy and as soon as it triggers, my hit particle and the target's damage animation plays immediately, but is it possible let it wait for a second or time it with the animation?
    Post edited by Wiseland on
  • Wiseland said: And the last animation question. Is it possible to change at what time the damage animation plays with damage dealers... For example, my sword hits my enemy and as soon as it triggers, my hit particle and the target's damage animation plays immediately, but is it possible let it wait for a
    So this needs a bit more set up. You have to have the damage dealer OFF by default. Then activate it in the battle event at the moment you want it to starting hitting things (and then make sure to turn it back off at the end)
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • Hm, try disabling the combatant's Auto Animation during the attacks (node of the same name).

Damage dealers can also use battle events to do advanced animations instead of just calculating the outcome on impact. Make sure to use a Calculate node in your battle event (or enable Calculation Needed in the event's settings), though, as the damage calculation doesn't happen otherwise.
  • Okay, so my attacks are still very sluggish. But that's a worry for another day.

This is a totally different thing. Before I go to the more creative questions regarding the status system... Is there a target lock on function? For example, when you're locked on to an enemy you can only focus on him, when you move left or right you're basically circling him and when you move forward you're only walking towards him, until you switch or lock off target. Is something like this possible?
  • No, while you can e.g. use group/individual targets (see Battle System > Target Settings) to select a target to use your actions on (instead of having to select a target after selecting an action), there's no included player controller to move around a target like that :)
  • Ahhh that's in the newer versions of ORK. I recently purchased that. So, I'm going to check that out in a bit.

Also, for the animation thing. I noticed that my idle animation tries to override every attack animation, but it's only during battle. Turning Auto Animation on/off doesn't really do it. I don't know what will.

This is the one in the "field"

And this is the one in a "teleport battle"

------------

Okay,
    Totally different question(s).

1. There is a status system I want to try and make.
    For reference, like the Allium and Lillium Orb from the Xillia series. I want a key item to be able to level up by itself and is able to equip special items (that affect my combatants stats, for example +2 SP or something like that). I was thinking should I use an armor equipment part for that? Though, I have no idea how to equip items to an equipment part (because to my knowledge it aint possible)

Is there also a way to have a bunch of abilities but only be able to use like 2 or 3 in a fight through hotkeys. So, you put them in slots, but in a menu not the skillbar.

If any of these things are possible, can you show me the right direction.
  • What animation system are you using?

1) Equipment parts can only equip weapons/armors - and items can't level up (weapons/armors can). So it's probably best to set that system up as equipment instead of regular items.
    You can also have the equipment add additional equipment parts via the Equipment Part Changes settings, so your special item can add those parts to equip additional stuff :)

2) Use the shortcut slot system for this - battle menus can also use shortcut slots for the menu items and you can use an ability menu screen to select the slots, either via the Default Action setting or using the sub-menu settings.
  • I am using mechanim animations.
  • Hm, yeah, Mecanim can be somewhat tricky - make sure to have your animator controller's transitions set up in a good way. There isn't one way to set it up, so it largely depends on your needs.

Also, it might be a good idea to not use ORK's auto animations (enabled in the combatant's animation settings) and feed the movement speed to a float parameter of your animator controller instead. In ORK's animation setup, use the Set Horizontal Speed option and define the name of the float parameter. In your controller, you can use that parameter for transitions to e.g. play walk/run animations, or a blend tree.