edited September 2019 in ORK Support
So I'm turning auto animation on and off pretty often for attack events, the problem I'm running into is in between turns characters will do a little shuffle despite not really moving much, if at all.
Basically it looks like they are starting their move animation without actually moving anywhere, after each attack event.

2. Whenever I turn Auto-Animation back on after the player takes damage they play their original animation set, despite being in battle (and thus should default back to battle animation set) am I forgetting a setting?
Post edited by Wrofir on
Miuratale : coming 2024
Miuratale
  • edited September 2019
    1) Well, the auto animations would only play a move animation if the combatant moved. Try enabling Use Position Change in the combatant's movement settings, this will determine movement on actual position changes instead of relying on other components like a character controller or rigidbody.

2) I'll check it out.
    Edit: While I didn't run directly into this, there seems to be a (related) bug, where starting a battle doesn't switch from field to battle animations - this will be fixed in the next update.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2019
    1. I do use position change.. Maybe they are moving a bit. Can I stop all movement using navmesh so that after each event they stop 100% dead in their tracks? Atm movement stoppage still requires de-acceleration so they still move a bit.

2. Well it happens after the damage event plays, now that I think of it.
    The player gets damaged by something, event plays, then after that animation they return to their normal animation set instead of battle.

3a. Just a minor, different issue, I use mouse movement with Nav Mesh. However it only works whenever I click around 3-6 units away, otherwise the agent wont start moving. This is causing a few issues with getting close enough to interact with objects.
    I've messed with a few nav mesh settings and they don't seem to change much. I just want the character to start walking regardless of how close or far the click is.

3b. How do I make the interaction controller based on a mouse click ray-cast instead of trigger interactions? This would also help with interacting with things, because right now you have to be rotated the correct orientation so that the collider of the interactable object is within the interaction controller, and be close enough. Which is kind of awkward with my mouse control/nav mesh set-up.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • 1) Maybe add small wait times after finishing movement in your battle event (returning to their position before the action ends) and try disabling auto animations while they're idle on their place.

2) I'm pretty sure it's due to the bug I found :)

3a) Could it be that your click is hitting some other collider (e.g. on your player) instead of the ground? In-game, pause the game and check the layers of stuff on your player and make sure it's not included in the layer mask setting of the mouse controls.

3b) The interaction controller is purely for interacting with stuff that's within its bounds when pressing the interact input key. You'll probably want to use the Click Interaction settings instead. E.g. make sure that the max click distance is at a good value (or -1 for not limiting the range) and the layer mask is set up correctly. All settings can be found in Base/Control > Game Controls > Interaction Settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks! Will that bug be fixed in the next update?

3. Nah, because I have the ground on its own layer. so movement isn't hindered by collision boxes. It's specifically because its too close to the players current position.. I can make a video of it, but she essentially just won't even register it as a movement unless the new position is far enough away. Are there any other settings that effect that?
    Miuratale
  • edited September 2019
    Nah, will keep that bug alive for at least 1-2 years :P
    Yes, will be fixed in the next update :)

3) Hm, well, if the click hits the ground it's probably some NavMesh issue, e.g. some setup in your agent.
  • edited September 2019
    2 years is good.

So I want a specific ability to create a status effect that allows the player to counter attack for as long as that status effect is active. How would I go about that?
    I also need to be able to specify what ability is used for the counter attack, based on a weapon.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Should be pretty easy if you're using ORK's counter system - the status effect simply needs to add a Counter Bonus (e.g. via a custom bonus) of 100 to have 100 % counter chance. Naturally, this only counters abilities that are counterable.

As for ability based on the weapon, this can be set up using the Own Counter setting in your weapon's setup.
  • edited September 2019
    ooo perfect! Thanks
    Can I counter attack moves that do not target that enemy?
    Like a psuedo-attack of opportunity?
    I'm not using grid based, but I want combatants with that status effect to also shoot at combatants who use "Move" which is an ability that unblocks control an allows a few seconds of free movement.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • edited September 2019
    I think so ... counter is determined by calculating the ability's outcome on a target that was hit, so it shouldn't really matter if it's a targeted ability or not.
  • edited September 2019
    Can I have an item switch out for another item when a status value reaches 0?

For instance. I use magazines to load guns which increases a status value.
    What I want to have is, once a magazine is loaded I want to indicate that it is loaded. I was thinking of changing the item to "Loaded Magazine" in the inventory, which is easy enough.
    However, I want it to automatically become a regular magazine (switch back) once all the ammo(status value) is used up.

An alternative possibility :

Remove the magazine from inventory and give the user a new ability: "Unload gun" Which will add the magazine back to inventory.

Alternate alternative :

Can you have a weapon that adds a new equipment slot? IE the user equips a gun that opens up a magazine slot for that specific gun? Then the player could load the magazine in inventory and then load it as a piece of equipment. The gun ability would then require both that status value AND that the magazine is equipped...
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Since the ammo is most likely reduced by using abilities, I'd recommend doing whatever solution you want to use in your ability's battle events (e.g. setting up a battle event that handles this and add it to all abilities that need it).

The next update will add optionally using game events upon status value changes, so this can be somewhat automated without having to add it to all abilities.

Anyway, all of your solutions can be done, so you'd have to select which one suits you best :)
    In case you where wondering - weapons/armors can change equipment parts via their Equipment Part Changes settings.
  • Okay cool! Good to hear :)
    Miuratale
  • How could I make a reload all button that's on screen?
    Basically I just want a fast way for the player to have all the combatants use their "reload" ability. So a button at the bottom right that uses that ability on all valid combatants.

I haven't really messed with on-screen buttons much... Is that a HUD element?
    Miuratale
  • There are 2 ways to do it - both use a global event that has your combatants use the ability:

The simple way would be using an Information HUD, using a Click Action on a HUD element to call the global event.

The more complex way is to use an input key to start the global event and set up a Control HUD for that input key to get a virtual control on your screen :)
  • Okay I made a HUD with a button that calls a global event. That global event then calls each members (0,1,2,3 in order) ability "Reload", the problem seems to be that they don't actually seem to be using that ability. As I enter battle with non-loaded magazines. Which means the reload ability wasn't used.

Any ideas?
    Miuratale