Hi! This is my first post over at the forums and I'm in need of some advice in order to set up ootii's character and camera controller.

First of all what's the best way to set the player up? Through a game event which spawns the player prefab on the first scene, or it being already spawned on said scene and just setting the combatant as player through the event?

What about the camera controller? I'm following this setup but I guess the camera controller should already be spawned? Or maybe spawned through an event? And how would the camera's player references work?

And what about the ootii's input source? Is there a way for ork to make it persist through levels or just hardcode that behaviour? Should it be spawned in the main menu like the game starter?
As you can see I'm quite confused in integrating these custom controls, so any help is very much appreciated!

Any further tips and tricks are very much welcome.

Thanks!
  • edited October 2019
    Just set up your player as per the tutorials so it spawns into every scene. A camera set up should be in every scene apart from the main menu. Follow ootii camera set up instruction but leave the player part of it blank as the player is spawned into the scene. The main camera should be a child of the camera rig but both should be tagged as main camera. The player should have the player tag as well. Put the script anywhere in your project assets list but reference it in the Behaviour Name in custom controls. the ootii input source should be in every scene that has a camera rig
    Post edited by Dreamwalker23 on
  • Thank you so much for your help!
    I was breaking my head over the last couple of days, you have no idea.

It now works very well but with a little issue:
    The camera tracks the player after the transition has ended, thus doing a very visible snap in place after the transition screen is done. Do you know a way to make it so that it tracks the player as soon as the level is loaded?
  • No sorry I have that same issue myself , from main menu to the first scene. I've just put up with it because I have no idea how to fix it. I'd appreciate some help as well for that problem.
  • Changing scenes blocks player and camera controls, i.e. if ORK also manages your camera control, that'll be blocked during transitions.

I'll look into making that optional.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • GIL, have you made the blocking of player and camera controls optional when changing scenes in the latest update?
  • edited January 2020
    Yes - they're set in up Base/Control > Game Controls. You can separately block player/camera controls during scene changes via the SC Block Control settings.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It was in Base/Control> but yes that works really well thank you
  • Ah, yeah ... Base/Control > Game Controls, will edit it to not confuse others :)
  • Is thread hijacking allowed? I didn't want to create a whole new thread for exactly this situation. If it's better in its own thread I can delete this question and setup a new thread about it.

Per @Dreamwalker23 's instructions, "Follow ootii camera set up instruction but leave the player part of it blank as the player is spawned into the scene."

The problem with this solution is that many of the ootii camera setups are heavily involved with camera targets and anchor points. Since the player is spawned into the scene, you cannot point ootii at specific camera targets or anchor points related to the player. At least, I haven't figured out how. I've gotten it to sort of work, but it's quite wonky sometimes.

So I have a question for @gamingislove in this situation: should I use an event, probably tied to the spawn player event, that Mounts a "Camera Target" game object to the player prefab? If so, how exactly does one go about that? I've messed around with the node editor for a few hours and haven't quite figured out how to do that.

Or, directly related to that last point of me not being able to figure out how to do that, would it be better to have a script that makes a Camera Target game object become a child of the player prefab?
  • Check out the how-to on custom player/camera controls, it also includes a wrapper component for ootii :)
  • edited April 2020
    Yes I used that wrapper, and I figured out the problem in the end.

For those who come across this in the future: make sure your player prefab is actually tagged as Player. Such a simple mistake, easily overlooked, that caused a whole heap of trouble.

It also helps to have your ootii camera rig, the empty game object that holds the ootii script and has the maincamera as a child, tagged as main camera in addition. That issue was a smaller one but it did seem to help.

Post edited by DyegoAlehandro on
  • Every time I added this script im getting this error message from unity
    Can someone help me pls?

Assets\ORK Framework\Scripts\ORKCameraControlWrapper.cs(77,25): error CS1061: 'CameraController' does not contain a definition for 'Anchor' and no accessible extension method 'Anchor' accepting a first argument of type 'CameraController' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
  • Sounds like ootii isn't recognized, is it imported in your project?