edited December 2019 in ORK Support
Hi, I'm having some garbage collection spikes that cause stalls, and am wondering what might be causing the garbage collection. Is there certain ways of using an event interaction that can cause this? Maybe using an event in a certain way like loops?
Post edited by FreedTerror on
  • Is that GC spike happening regularly or after doing something specific, e.g. using a certain ability in battle?

Based on your profiler's info, I'd say this is mainly coming from the new UI, so maybe after several UI updates or opening/closing menus.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The GC spike happens regularly.

Did an experiment and checked No display on two Combatant HUDs and All Information HUDs that used auto update.
    The GC spike still happens but far less frequently.
    Heres some more profiler info in the GC alloc column.

• Yeah ... auto update will definitely cause this, as each update here will trigger a recalculation of the UI, in case of the new UI it'll cause parenting/unparenting operations of a lot of game objects, which causes garbage allocation.

The auto update option is mainly meant for updating something that e.g. displays the game time, so it can update it like once per second. An interval of 0.03 means 33 recalculations per second and causes a lot of garbage and FPS drops.

What do you need to udpate that often? If you want to e.g. react to variable or inventory changes, ORK 2.25.1 added options for that :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The auto update huds react to variable changes. I'll let you know the GC results when I'm able to update to the newest ORK version without those event problems I brought up in the bug report thread. Until then I'm stuck using 2.24.1.