Gil, let's say I create a tick schematic that runs every update, a monster always checking to see if the player is in sight, and if it is, chase after him.

Check if player is in sight - Yes, chase(using navmesh). No, keep searching.

In the setting node, if I create a game object with FIND OBJECT enable, looking for a specific tag in the game (which of course, belongs to the monster), and use that in the navmesh set path as the object, will the tick schematic only search the scene once for the tagged object? Or will it continue to search again and again everytime the tick schematic restart itself?
  • This will search for the object each time the schematic is started from the machine component.

I'd recommend to use the Restart Schematic node instead, that will perform a lot better and not search for the actors again and again. It can also optionally check for the machine's condition to still be valid and only restart if that's the case.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ohhh I see.
    To be sure, so in the tick schematic, at the end just add the RESTART SCHEMATIC, right?

Also, will it work with the auto schematic too? So that instead of looping the last node to the first, just add the restart schematic at the end. If that does work, which is more performance wise? Looping or adding the node.
  • The Restart Schematic node will restart the schematic in the next frame.

Looping back to the first node will just continue the schematic's run without any pause. if you don't have any wait time in your schematic this will probably crash your game, as you've created an eternal loop that keeps running.

Other than that, both should perform pretty much the same :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah thanks! I get it now :)
  • Oh yeah, I forgot to ask another thing. Does disable nodes which are connected to other node have any impact to performance?
    And how about nodes which are not connected to anything?
  • Well, everything has an impact on performance, but in case of disabled nodes that can be ignored, as it's so small that you'd have to have hundreds or event thousands of nodes to have an impact.

The only thing that disabled or not connected nodes could impact is when first loading the schematic's data, as it's loading/processing unneeded data. That has more impact, but also only noticable when we're talking about a lot of nodes.
  • Sweet, thanks for the info!