My artist wants to have the name in the namebox for the dialogue GUI box to be at a diagonal angle. Is this possible? How do I get it tilted or at an angle?
  • You mean a cursive? Have you tried using the same codes you would use in the text for cursive?:

#text.italic
  • If you want the name box rotated, you can try using the new UI and using a prefab for the name box that's rotated.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • So after doing most of the set up that appears to work! One question though, how do I get the ok button to work? I've got a prefab, the prefab has a button component and an image component. It shows up where it's supposed to, but pressing it does nothing. What settings should I set the button to to get it to work as an ok button?
  • Sounds like something is blocking that click from reaching the button - check if something else is above the button (layer-wise), or maybe the image on the button itself is blocking the click from reaching the button component?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I think the image sounds like a real possibility. The OK button itself actually does work in other dialogues I've made. I'll test that and get back to you.
  • Alright. I'm pretty sure that's the case because other dialogue boxes OK buttons work just fine when the button is off to the side. But I can't get this one to work, even if I remove all the prefabs and just have basic text. The OK button prefab is one game object with a button component and an image component. It's on the same Unity Layer as the content box prefab. It's also entirely within the bounds of the content box and always appears in front of it.

I've tried making the image on a child object of a button object and it didn't appear to work. I've tried removing the image entirely but leaving the button and it doesn't appear to work.

I have made sure that the rest of the displayed elements of the GUI, including extra portraits etc, are all behind the content box. They weren't before and that could have interfered, but it still doesn't seem to work.
  • Hm, could there be any other GUI box in front of that one button, e.g. from a HUD?

You can check out ORK's canvas structure for anything that's displayed via the _ORK game object.
  • As far as I can tell the main menu is being instantiated with nothing in it on the same layer as the dialogue content box when I start the dialogue event. It doesn't overlap the OK button but does overlap with the content box. There is nothing else on that layer or above that layer as far as I can tell. Does the child/parent hierarchy matter much in this regard?
  • Wait - why is the main menu displayed?

The main menu blocks focus, i.e. the dialogue can't get focus, usually preventing it from getting input.
  • I have no idea why the main menu is displayed! It's not displayed in the scene until I start the dialogue event. The dialogue event has no nodes calling the main menu. It has the following settings on:
    - Block Move AI, Block Control Maps, Clear Found Objects, Block Player Control, Block Camera Control, Use Main Camera.
    Then it has two Show Dialogue nodes that both have "not controllable" checked which display additional portraits on the "behind" layer.
    Then it has the Show Dialogue that actually includes the dialogue box, name box, speakers portrait, OK button, etc. And then a "close all dialogue" node.

It doesn't seem like any settings on the event component would call the main menu.
    I assembled my prefabs in the "main menu" scene but the main menu wasn't in the scene when I did that and I've checked the prefabs in other scenes and they do not include the main menu or anything named main menu.
  • edited January 2020
    I've tested by making a different event composed of a show dialogue, then a choice. The main menu doesn't show up for this one but the ok button still doesn't work so I haven't gotten past the first show dialogue to the choice.

Although I should add that choices work just fine if I bypass the first message and go straight to the choice.
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • I think it'd be best if you send me a small Unity test project with your setup - send it (or a download link) to contact@orkframework.com.
  • I deeply appreciate the amount of support you provide. I've made a stripped copy and sent it to you. I've been using unity 2019.2.2f1 although it, for some reason, wants to update to that everytime I open it.
  • edited January 2020
    Soooo ... took some time, but it's due to your main menu scene :)

You have a canvas and an event system in the main menu - and since there is already an event system, ORK doesn't create its own. However, the event system in the scene isn't persistent, so it's destroyed when the scene changes. That's why no clicks work on the UI - there's no event system afterwards.
    Just removing the event system from the scene should fix this, as this lets ORK create one and keep it alive.

Also, regarding your project wanting to update - I'm not sure where that's set in Unity, but the Unity Hub stated that the project is for Unity 5.6.5, might be that this information is somewhere in the project in an old setup file and responsible for this?
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Yeah, I have a few old setup files that are still around that I need to remove. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Also thanks for the help with the menus. I honestly don't even know how that event system got there. =\