Hello,

I’m looking for some advice when working with battle events.

I’m working on a somewhat unique battle system, where the player selects an element to attack an enemy with from a pop up list of options, after targeting the enemy. Battle menu goes: Attack > Select Target > Select Element.

The battle flows like this:
- Player turn: select an enemy to attack
- 4 random element options pop up and the game awaits the player’s input
- The player selects which element to attack the enemy with, knowing that only one option is correct and will cause damage (the enemy is immune to the other 3 options)
- The attack is performed and the player’s turn ends

So far, I’ve set up enemies with defence attributes for the elements they are weak to. For example, Slime is weak to Fire, but immune to every other element. That’s the easy bit!

I want to implement this system using battle events, but I’m having trouble working out the logic, or the right events to use.

I need to scan all of the target enemy’s defence attributes and find the one element it is weak to. This element needs to be presented in a list, along with 3 random elements the enemy is not weak to.

The player then inputs the key corresponding to the element they want to select (A for Fire, B for Ice, etc, though this list is randomised every time)

The attack is carried out with the selected element added as an attack attribute.

If any of this doesn’t make sense, please let me know and I’ll try to clarify. Thanks!

• Currently it isn't possible to target enemies using menu. You could alternatively just give your characters possibility to use all abilities and add status effects to enemies like weaknesses to elements. I think you can add random status effects using custom events in combatant settings. This means you enemies could always get one weakness status effect they are susceptible to and 3 fake weaknesses.
  • edited January 2020
    Hm, I also don't think that's currently possible.
    Generally, you'd use a series of Choice type Show Dialogue nodes for this, but there's currently no attack attribute selection available for this, so you'd have to do that manually, or write a custom node for that.

Also, in a regular setup (where attributes influence the damage), you'd set up Attack Attributes for this. The attack (ability/item) has an attribute, using the attack attribute values on the target to determine the damage - e.g. a fire spell uses the target's fire attribute value.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!