Those of you who've read the latest development report will already know this: I've got a new product available :)

Footstepper is a complete footstep solution for Unity!

Footstepper adds a versatile, reusable and extensible footstep system to Unity.
Play different audio clips and spawn prefabs based on what you’re stepping on and use IK for foot placement on the ground. All features are supported in 2D and 3D games – it doesn’t matter if you’re going 1st person, 3rd person or top down, Footstepper has got you covered!

Check out the demo or read through the documentation.
It's now available for $10 on the Asset Store.
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • This is really neat.

Is there any way to do depth with snow? For example, give a depth setting of 1 unit of snow, and let the player be 1 unit down/y leaving footprints like they are knee deep in snow and creating 'trenches' ?
  • Hm, not out of the box (yet), but you could write a custom footstep source that handles that. I'll look into it for future updates :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2020
    Looks cool. How heavy is the calculation need to detect materials underneath? Would you recommend this only for player group or can it work for many NPC's?
    Post edited by hellwalker on
  • edited January 2020
    Not really heavy - I think playing the actual sound and/or spawn a prefab (unless you're using the pooling options) will have more impact than finding the material for it.

I've stress-tested it with hundreds of calls to the footstep functionality per frame and didn't run into any issues and only got some impact when going above 1000 calls (and that's already with sound/prefab).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Cool, I'll be doing polish pass in two weeks to add features like this and I'll be sure to give footsteper a try.