I've been going through the grid battles tutorials and I've got up to the end of Grid Battles Part 3: Move and Ranges. When I go to test it almost everything works except that I can still move using the WASD input commands I normally use outside of combat and in the old combat system I'm considering moving away from, and when I do move in that way I can completely ignore the grid system entirely. This seems like it's probably an easy fix, I probably missed a box somewhere. But that said, is it possible to use WASD input commands with the grid system (like, you can only move in ways that the grid battle system agrees with, but you can instruct your character which ways to go using keybindings?)
  • Is your used battle system blocking player controls? It's set up in the Control Block Settings of the system (e.g. Battle System > Turn Based Battles for turn based battles).

In grid battles you'd normally block player control in Battle (i.e. the whole battle).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It was set to:
    Block Player Control -> Battle
    Allow In Turn -> Always
    which is probably the problem so I set that to None.

That solved that problem. But I must amend my earlier statement that everything else was working. During the player turn it doesn't demonstrate their move range or allow me to select a cell to move to.
  • Hm, I assume you've set up the grid highlights (Battle System > Battle Grid Highlights) and move command (and cell selection)?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I did as instructed in the tutorials. Those both look set up (I can take some time and go over how they're set up in the tutorial compared to how I have them set up more carefully to make sure but at first glance they definitely look set up). The selection and no selection highlights have "use prefab" on and no selected prefabs. Could that be the problem?
  • Probably ... the grid highlights can spawn a prefab to highlight a cell and/or blink the cell's prefab in a color. If you're using prefab and have no prefab selected, there's no visible highlight for the cell ... unless you're using the blink settings, in which case you don't need to enable using prefab.
    Blinking needs for the cell to have a prefab, though, so if your cells aren't visible in the scene, there's nothing to blink :)
  • The cells are visible in the scene and the use blink setting is enabled. I disabled the use prefab setting since that's not necessary if it's set to use blink. However cell selection for movement during combat still doesn't work. So I guess it wasn't that. =\
  • Hmmm ... what's your move range set up like?
  • under Battle Grid Settings -> Move Command, the default move range is set to value type: value, value 5. The default battle animation is set up with the battle event that's the same as in the tutorial. I have mark target cell, allow cancel, start from user, use shortest path, and move over allies all checked.
    That what you're talking about? Is there another move range setting somewhere I might have missed?
  • Nah, that's the move range ...
    So, you can start the grid move selection (e.g. via battle menu), but there's nothing highlighted? Can you still select a cell (e.g. via clicking or just using input keys) and start the grid move, or is it just completely blocked?
  • no... actually the battle menu doesn't come up. Which makes sense, before this my turn based battles are set up to use exclusively keybinding inputs and without a battle menu. So that's probably my problem, eh?
    I recently swapped over to the New UI system. This was a problem before that but I haven't gotten the Battle Menu set up properly using New UI prefabs yet. So I'll probably need to do that before we continue.
  • So, you're starting the grid move via control maps, or are you using the Player Auto Grid Move setting in your battle system?
  • I didn't know that was a thing but it sounds like exactly what I want!!! Where is it? how do I do this thing?
  • In the Grid Settings of whatever battle system you're using, e.g. Battle System > Turn Based Battles for turn based battles :)
  • Alright. Some follow-up questions much later. =)
    1. Is there a way to set it up to let the player rotate their character as much as they like during their turn?
    2. If I wanted to set it up so that just pressing a button would move your character forward one hex would you do that by making a "move forward 1 step" ability and using a control map with an assigned input key for the desired key? And if I wanted it to keep executing that until you let go could that be done by having the used input keys input handling set to "hold" or "any"?
  • 1) Sure, you can e.g. add the Grid Orientation command to your battle menu. Changing the rotation/orientation doesn't cost a turn or action points or anything like that, so the player can rotate as much as needed.

2) Yes, using abilities and control maps for that is probably the best option, unless you want to do some custom scripting. For continued execution while holding the key, either use a hold/any key as you suggested, or check for the key in the battle event and continue moving there while the key is valid.