Hi

I have a design idea I would like to implement and I'd appreciate some advice regarding the best approach before I try it.
What I'm after is to have the player create their abilities with some sort of point allocation system. Let's say they get a certain amount of points which they can allocate towards improving the amount of damage, hit chance, range, number of targets, etc.
As far as I can see, I can either use the built-in system by basing it on certain variables and then change their values according to the player's choices or program a whole new system of abilities independent of the framework. The first option seems better in certain ways, but I would like some advice from people who have deep knowledge of the system whether this is feasible.
If you think this approach is valid, I'd appreciate some advice regarding how the system works. I've familiarised myself with the abilities and status effects but I'm still not sure how the inner workings of these operate and the resources I could find don't go into much detail. Is there anything deeper than the tutorials and how to's?
  • Hm, hard to say without knowing more about the customization the player could do.

Using only ORK's built-in systems would probably allow doing it by using object variables on your combatant to unlock new features of an ability, as well as ability variables on the ability itself to influence stuff like hit chance or damage calculations.

Status changes and status effect changes of an ability (or item) can use status/variable requirements to be used. E.g. you can unlock a status effect for an ability via an object variable on the user.

Formulas for hit chances can use ability variables via selected data (the ability is available via the action selected key).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on having the player being able to apply any effect available - for instance, having a basic ability that has certain basic attributes - maximal mana cost, minimal range, minimal damage, minimal hit chance, maximal time over which the damage is applied, etc. The player will have a certain amount of points which they can invest towards improving any of the abilities at the expanse of others. So basically, players will be able to design any possible ability themselves. That means the I need a general ability that can have any of these effects which will be modulated by some variables (if a player invests 10 points into the damage, they would have 10 times the minimal damage, etc.) If it's workable, would you be able to expand a bit on the relationships between the abilities, status effects, formulas etc. that have to do with applying damage through the abilities system?
  • You could also do this in the battle events of your abilities - that might make it a bit easier, as you can reuse the same events on all abilities and have the customization options stored in the ability variables.
    Events can also do chance checks, change status values (e.g. damage) or status effects. Adding new status effects to the ability could be done via a bool variable on the ability that marks the effect to be added. The event checks for that variable, and if it's there, adds the effect to the target. It'll take some time (if you've got a lot of effects), but it's basically a one-time setup and can be reused for the other abilities.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!