Greetings!

I've just started working with ORK to move my game demo from design stage to prototype stage. As such I'm still discovering the ins and outs of ORK, and the questions I have might have very straightforward answers, so bear with me :D
anyway, first things first:

1) Weapons. Can they set/modify the Damage status value by minimum and maximum values (eg. a sword adds from 2 to 8 additional damage) rather than a single value? Or is there another way to make this work than by using damage as a status value and/or adding the modifiers using Bonus Settings?

2) Abilities. Same as above, damage ranges.

3) Damage vs Armor. I want to have three damage types that are defended by three armor types (which reduce damage by set amount, not %-based). Damage type is mostly based on the weapon equipped, so I thought using Attack Attribute sub-attributes (as it's possible to set them with weapons), but this formula doesn't seem to work:
(check status checks for sub-attribute current value 100)
What's wrong here and how can I make it work?
  • JMRJMR
    edited March 2020
    1) Bonus settings could work, you can use Random Status Value Bonuses if you want to add 2-8 damage on top of weapon normal damage output. In ability damage output use formula that will add Bonus Damage Status Value, which is a status value you should create. You could also have each item use different abilities.

2) You should use formulas. You can set up Random node in formula, which will generate random number between 2 and 8. After that you can add Bonus Damage Status Value.

3) It's called flat damage reduction. I think you should get rid off Attack Attributes and just use status values in your formula.
    In check status you use Check Weapon Item Type?
    Post edited by JMR on
  • 1) isn't Random Status Value Bonuses used for generating randomized items? It states in the description that these bonuses are added when the item is created. Then again, it's kinda ambiguous.

2) right! it would work, and I suppose for weapons too. however, it's kinda unwieldy having a formula for each possible random range. but I can live with it.

3) weapon item type was what I needed. thanks.
  • JMRJMR
    edited March 2020
    1) Sorry, you are right. Create weapons that give their own weapon abilities and copy those abilities for higher tier weapons changing only formula used to calculate damages.

Or even better, you can create 2 status values, min and max damage, use them in random value formula and have each weapon give bonuses to each of them.
    Post edited by JMR on
  • First of all, if you haven't done so, I'd highly recommend going through the game tutorials to learn all the basics :)

1+2) These are pretty much the same - weapons alone don't do damage, they just contribute to the combatant's status values. Damage is done via the abilities, i.e. usually you'll use a formula for that.
    So, min/max damage ranges are best done by having 3 formulas:
    - a min damage formula
    - a max damage formula
    - the actual damage formula, that uses a Random Value node to get a random value between min and max formula results

How min/max damage is calculated is up to you, but since you want to have weapons (or equipment in general) impact that, I'd suggest using 2 status values for that (e.g. min/max weapon attack).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oh yeah, I've done the tutorials, they're a good introduction to the system.

• okay, another case that probably has a very easy explanation.
    I want to place a HUD element in top left corner. I set the GUI box to (0,0) and anchor it to upper left. However, for some reason it shows in the middle of the screen. Other HUD elements that I introduce seem to snap into their correct position, so I'm stumped. Any clues?

• Hm, could be due to:
    - the GUI Layer of the GUI box using own GUI scale settings
    - the HUD using a GUI Layout, which places the GUI box according to the layout and noth the position of the box
    - some other mysterious reason :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2020
    well that's the deal - it's (for now) a very simple element based on the ORK demo; it's on the same layer as the others, not using any layout, what's more - in the GUI (and HUD) WYSIWYG editors it's on its proper position.
    I've tried using other boxes present for the HUD - they all show in wrong (kinda centered) places, so it seems like it's a problem with the HUD itself, but there isn't any real reason why this would be single one affected.

nevermind, I'm a moron. 'Combatant type' 'individual' setting puts the box over the combatants head.
    Post edited by 2137 on
  • edited March 2020
    question regarding multi-turn combat system with an inverted turn order.

At the start of a battle, each combatant starts with a delay based on their Initiative value plus some random number. Abilities have their own "time costs", which, using Use Cost, increase Initiative delay status values of their users. So, when a character with starting Initiative 5 uses a skill with initiative cost 10, their next action should come in "turn" 15, and any other combatants that have their current Initiative between 5 and 15 should activate before them.
    the turn calculation formula would look like this:

but something is wrong. the activations seem... random. I have three combatants in the test battle: a slow PC, a very fast Archer enemy and a fast Thug enemy. The Archer always goes first - good - but the Thug rarely moves before PC, even if his starting Initiative is lower. And after PC uses its ability - the Archer never strikes again, even though he should do it three times, but the Thug does. The order doesn't really make any sense.
    I suppose there's something crucial that I've missed. Any hints?
    Post edited by 2137 on
  • Hm, what are the Initiative and Initiative Delay values of the individual combatants? You can check them in the running game via the combatant game object's inspector.

Using Multi Turns with Invert Turn Order will only increase a combatant's turn value after finishing an action, using the combatant with the lowest turn value next. You can also check the turn values in the combatant's inspector in-game.
  • edited March 2020
    I've enabled the turn counter hud (which is kind of a mess right now, but at least it shows current initiative values), and the values seem to be calculated fine (and yeah, the values are identical in the inspector too).

as you can see, Var has higher value than Bandit Thug, yet it's his turn.
    Post edited by 2137 on
  • By any chance, do you also allow using multiple actions per turn? See the Actions Settings in the turn based system.
  • Actions per turn? It's set to 1.
  • Hm - what is the value displayed in your HUD image? Is it the turn order counter (i.e. %to text code)? If that's the case, there'd still be 14 other combatants having their turn before the Bandit Thug, one of them could still be Var, as those values probably dome from the turn order prediction ...

You should still check the actual Turn Value in the combatant inspectors in the running game, as well as what their status values actually are.

I've just did some tests and it's working fine here, so I'd say at least it's not a bug (probably) :D
  • so, Turn Value in the inspector is what the game has calculated for the selected combatant using the turn calculation formula, right? I'll do some more tests and see how it shows up.