What's the method to determine how many grid cells lie between two combatants and to use that number rather than battle range templates in determining whether a targeting ability can be used?
  • Maybe use multiple Check Grid Path nodes with Variable Change at the end of each pass?

Example:

There is Check Grid Path nodes with value of 1. If check is passed then Change Variable Node sets variable to 1, if the check fails then there is a second Check Grid Path with value of 2 etc
  • Are you talking about direct distance, or path distance?
    Battle range templates using the Range type pretty much just check the direct distance.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @JMR Thanks, I'll give that a try.

@gamingislove I was thinking of the path, but I may be overthinking. What would be more useful to know is whether I can check and select adjacent cells in the event system, possibly incorporating shape templates.
  • That can be done using the Store Grid Cells node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ahhh, got'cha--using battle range templates, yes? So, if I'm using a hexagonal grid and create a range template with a cluster of three cells marked in red, those three cells would be stored as whatever I designate for an Object Key, correct? So If I want to give a combatant control over the three cells directly in front of them after they move--in other words, forcing enemy combatants that are attempting to move onto those cells to first pass an event check--would it be best to move the current combatant onto each of them as a guest in the move event?
  • Generally, yes, that uses a battle range template (or a custom range) and stores the cells into the used key so that they can be used in following nodes.

However, giving the combatant 'control' over those cells is something completely different. If you set the combatant as a guest on those cells, other combatants will not be able to move on the cells. I think the only way to do an event check before moving on those cells would be doing this in the move event, e.g. marking those cells via object variables on them, or using a temporary grid event (which where added in ORK 2.28.0).
  • How exactly do temporary grid events work? Can they be made to automatically set and reset themselves each turn? What I'd like to do is set up an array of cells around combatants depending on the weapons they've equipped which would, for instance, attack hostile combatants automatically whenever they move onto a cell, or at least prevent them from being able to move unless and until they can generate a higher number than the combatant who created the cell event.

In cases where polearms or the like are equipped, I would actually prefer to completely block an array of cells and let enemy combatants attack the weapon rather than its wielder. In that case, might it be that adding a combatant to those cells as a guest is indeed preferable, or would a temporary event still be the way to proceed? Can a temporary event trigger an attack, and if so can it tie the results of that attack back a specific combatant or their equipment?
  • Temporary cell events are purely event-system based. When adding them to a cell, you can set them up to automatically be removed after a defined number of turns or time (in seconds), or keep them on cells until they're manually removed (via events).

If you want to use temporary cell events for this, you could add them at the end of a combatant's grid move event and remove them again at the start of it.
    Alternatively, you can use a system like in the Mission Grid Battles project, see the Attack of opportunity.

Basically, you can do all that in the grid move events, either via the temporary cell events or directly checking if a cell is within attack range (or use range of an ability) of an enemy.
  • I missed the part about an "AOO" feature. That's pretty useful! I figured I'd try to set it up by adding a special attack ability that assigned variables to all of the cells in attack range at the end of a turn, but AOO might be the better option. By the way, if I set up an event to expire after a certain number of turns, would those be the total number of turns taken by every combatant, or just the combatant who initiated the event?
  • That are battle turns, independent from combatants. Depending on your battle system setup they can either somewhat match the combatant turns or be completely off, depending on the combatant :)
  • Battle Turns? What are battle turns, and where and how do I set them? Do they cycle up by time intervals, or simply when every combatant has had a turn, and if the latter then what about active time battles where some combatants might have multiple turns before others get one?
  • edited March 2020
    I added a custom delegate in source code to count "Local Turns", when turn changes from a combatant to combatant in turn-based battle where each combatant takes one turn.

I can point you to a location in code if you want.
    Post edited by hellwalker on
  • You don't set battle turns, they increase automatically (like combatant turns). A battle turn depends on the used battle system and how it's set up. Generally, they're only used in turn based and phase battles.

In turn based battles, a battle turn is increased after all combatants had their turn (or the system tried to let them have their turn).
    In phase battles, a battle turn is increased after all participating factions had their phase.
  • Does that mean that Active Time Battles aren't able to use battle turns, or that it counts every user turn as a battle turn?
  • Prett much - temporary grid events using Turn will only work (decrease their turns) in turn based or phase battles.