I have no idea what I changed or when, but suddenly my Follow AI stopped working. Then I noticed no one would move at all- under any circumstances. Multiple NPCs, multiple prefab, imported prefabs- no one. Only the character will move.

I'm also getting Null Reference exceptions like crazy. I've been trying to fix this for a good 3 days. PLEASE help.

• edited March 2020
    Is there a Game Starter involved before that scene is loaded - when you directly hit play in the scene, there needs to be a game starter to initialize ORK.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yes, I enter this scene from the Main Menu scene as laid out in the tutorial. My player joins and can move around.

The MoveAI Follow Leader that is assigned to my blue pants NPC after the event does not seem to list a target, and says target position is all zeroes.

The event itself does trigger. I can walk up to that guy, trigger the dialogue, and the MoveAI appears on him in the inspector but he just won't move. Also, if I move scene after this, he appears in the next scene, but again- not moving, and floating in the air....

I'm sorry about the errors scene in my screenshot, they are misleading and I have solved them.
  • Well, floating in the air could be due to different reasons - e.g. missplaced collider/character controller. When using 'place on ground', make sure it uses only the layer the ground is on and there's nothing else that could be hit by the raycast (e.g. another collider/trigger).

As for the move AI, make sure that the game object's combatant is added to the player group, not another newly created one.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I think he is joining the player's Player Group, because the combatant appears in battles with the player and even changes scenes- just doesn't follow. Even after combat ends and the scene returns- bluepants is still there, he just won't follow...
  • Make sure that:
    - the combatant has that move AI selected
    - the move AI is set up correctly (for following the group leader)
    - the move AI's Move Component Settings are correct

The move AI just finds target positions, actual movement is handled by the used move component. E.g. if you're using Default, you most likely also want to enable Add Component to automatically add it to the game object.
  • Thank you for your continued support.
    Unfortunately, I still have not been able to solve this problem.
    The MoveAI is set correctly- using NavMesh agent. I have a MoveAI for waypoints that is working correctly (even on the same character!) but when I try to switch to Follow Leader- it's as if the leader doesn't exist. There is no target listed in his Move AI component, and the target coordinates still list all zeroes.
    As far as I can tell- everything is set right... but it still doesn't work. Even stranger- it used to work. I'm not sure what changed.
    Below are links to 5 images showing the Object Inspector, the Ork Follow AI, and the Combatant Move AI setting
    https://postimg.cc/yJ8KF9Z1
    https://postimg.cc/5HKVp0Bw
    https://postimg.cc/qhtdFTwW
    https://postimg.cc/k6kd3phG
    https://postimg.cc/LgLFH3rT

Thank you, really really thank you for your help on this. I plan on joining your Patreon funders soon!
  • Hm, based on your screenshots, the combatant is part of the Allies faction - is that your player's faction and the combatant joined the player group?
    Combatants only follow their group leader, i.e. he'd only follow the player after joining the player group.
  • Okay. I've tried changing faction. I can press the menu button to see that this character IS in the player group. I can see in the inspector they are in the same faction. I am so stumped...
  • Ok, but is actually this NPC joined to the group or do you just join another (new) combatant to it?
    So, what's the setup of the join group node?