ORK 2.28.1 is here: release notes

This small update adds some needed fixes and small new features :)
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Your efforts are always appreciated
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Is 2.28 going to be the last release before the new makinom updates?
    I am really looking for ward to the new update seeing how I just published the first public alpha for people to try out.

I was wondering can you just give out a little into on the whole new system with orkframework 3. Maybe just a couple things that will be added and changed.
  • I'd say yes, most likely - I'm currently finalizing the first beta for Makinom 2 and should be ready for releasing it sometime next week.

Since work on ORK 3 hasn't even begun, there's nothing 100% certain yet, but since it's based on Makinom 2, you can expect:
    - modernized editor with searchable popup fields
    - greatly improved node editor, allowing you to finally zoom out :D
    - improved data serialization, roughly cutting the save/load time by 50%
    - data will be stored in separate assets (e.g. each combatant, item or ability), reducing the initial load stress with the current ORK version
    - UI system is completely revamped and can be fully customized if you want, as UI systems are now separated from the main engine and can be created as plugins
    - legacy GUI is dropped and taking full advantage of the Unity UI and TextMesh Pro (but if you want it back, you can write a plugin for that :D)

And since ORK 3 will be based on Makinom 2 (or rather work as an extension for it), you can take full advantage of the schematic/machine system in ORK, so ORK's event system will be fully replaced by schematics.

Some things that I have planned for ORK 3:
    - streamlining of some features (e.g. ability trees will be removed, as you have the same functionality in research trees, but with more features)
    - renaming of some features, e.g. status values will become attributes, attack/defence attributes will become modifiers, etc.
    - battle systems will become definable data and easier to create custom systems > e.g. instead of having 4 different settings for the 4 system types, you can set them up like any other data (e.g. items, combatants) and create different variants of a system, like having a strict turn-based and a multi-turn turn based system
  • A lot of those things sound great.

At the moment my main one is looking forward to having the new UI system. Be nice to be able to fully use sprite atlases for certain things than the textures format.

The streamlining of the attributes sound really good. It is kind of redundant at the moment for some things. Thank you for informing us about the research tree and ability tree changes. I was about to put everything into abilities trees, but I know it is safe to put it into research trees.

So my main question is are you going to wait for orkframework 3 to come out before implementing to new Makinom or will there be an early version we can use with it. Most of the stuff I am looking forward to is in Makanom and not orkframework version 3. Some other people would probably love some of those new features too for easier moving around the editor.
  • Just a heads up - there's nothing safe going from ORK 2 to ORK 3. I'll try to provide an upgrade tool (later down the road after ORK 3 is in beta), but it'll most likely not be able to transfer all of your data.
    Same goes for Makinom 1 to 2 :)

As said, Makinom 2 will be in beta soon (probably next week) and have an official release 2-3 months later, although that depends on feedback I'll (hopefully) get. It's already pretty much as stable as Makinom 1 is currently, but there might still be changes that could break your data/setup between updates.
    Work on ORK 3 will start around Makinom 2's official release and will take at least 3-6 months, while also still providing updates to ORK 2. There'll also be no Makinom 2 to ORK 2 connection plugin
  • will ORK 3 have the ability to use databases such as SQLite?
  • JMRJMR
    edited March 2020
    gamingislove said: greatly improved node editor, allowing you to finally zoom out :D
    I love you. :)

Would it be also possible to use box selection to select a group of nodes or have frames around nodes groups as in :

gamingislove said: And since ORK 3 will be based on Makinom 2 (or rather work as an extension for it), you can take full advantage of the schematic/machine system in ORK, so ORK's event system will be fully replaced by schematics.
    Would old events still work after updating to ORK 3? What are advantages of schematic/machine system over events?
    gamingislove said: - renaming of some features, e.g. status values will become attributes, attack/defence attributes will become modifiers, etc.
    Status Values are used not only to create attributes, but also skills. I think it would make it more confusing to rename SV to attributes. However I agree that some naming conventions in ORK are at odds with naming conventions used by cRPG community (aforementioned modifiers are a good example of that).

If you want I can help, I can go through all the options in ORK and create a list of recommendations that would make it more readable for people used to cRPG conventions.
    gamingislove said: ust a heads up - there's nothing safe going from ORK 2 to ORK 3. I'll try to provide an upgrade tool (later down the road after ORK 3 is in beta), but it'll most likely not be able to transfer all of your data.
    Same goes for Makinom 1 to 2 :)
    You assume that updating project to ORK 3 will (for most users) mean just a few days of fiddling with small things or that people will need to rebuild their combat systems from scratch?
    Post edited by JMR on
  • These frame nodes from blender look like a pretty neat feature, I'll definitely look into adding that :)
    Box selection isn't implemented yet, but it's on my todo list.

No, old events will not work, the current event system will be completely replaced by schematics, but there'll be an upgrade tool later down the road to convert your events to schematics. Schematics/machines are pretty much the same as events/event interactions, just a more advanced version - especially in Makinom 2.

Sure, a little help with the naming conventions would be nice :)
    I'll open a separate thread for this (and other changes in ORK 3) at a later time.

Updating to ORK 3 will in most cases be a game breaking thing and will require you to rework a lot of your things. Beside feature changes, you'll also have to completely redo your UI and deal with component changes.
    I'll try to automate as much as possible with an upgrade tool, but that won't be a priority during the initial development phase and will not be able to salvage all data and scene setup.
  • edited March 2020
    Damage Dealers: Collision Enter
    Particles can now start ‘Collision Enter’ damage dealers.
    :eyes:

Tempting to risk an upgrade for this....

Thanks for this! Excited to see new news of Makinom2/ORK3 as well :D
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.

My project was getting bloated from my madness of learning how to use ORK anyway haha.
  • Kirb said: Tempting to risk an upgrade for this....
    Remember to make a backup first :)
    k0ld said: My project was getting bloated from my madness of learning how to use ORK anyway haha.
    Yeah ... I'd recommend starting a fresh project when working on your actual game instead of building upon your learning project (or even the game tutorials).
  • gamingislove said: No, old events will not work, the current event system will be completely replaced by schematics, but there'll be an upgrade tool later down the road to convert your events to schematics. Schematics/machines are pretty much the same as events/event interactions, just a more advanced version - especially in Makinom 2.
    [JMR studies current Makinom schematics]

But ORK 3 schematics will be RPG centered not general as Makinom 1 are?
  • Yes, ORK 3 will add the ORK specific nodes to schematics :)
    There'll be some streamlining, but generally all nodes available in ORK 2 will also be in ORK 3.
  • Will there be a way to turn off certain elements in the orkframe editor? At the moment there is a lot of stuff we don't use such as notification setting override in items, console text almost everywhere we don't use, and so forth.