I've been looking forward to an upgraded set of features being made available in ORK 3, but I just happened to stumble over a thread discussing the release of ORK 2.28.1 and found this little tidbit of worrisome info:

"Just a heads up - there's nothing safe going from ORK 2 to ORK 3. I'll try to provide an upgrade tool (later down the road after ORK 3 is in beta), but it'll most likely not be able to transfer all of your data.
Same goes for Makinom 1 to 2 :)
As said, Makinom 2 will be in beta soon (probably next week) and have an official release 2-3 months later, although that depends on feedback I'll (hopefully) get. It's already pretty much as stable as Makinom 1 is currently, but there might still be changes that could break your data/setup between updates.
Work on ORK 3 will start around Makinom 2's official release and will take at least 3-6 months, while also still providing updates to ORK 2. There'll also be no Makinom 2 to ORK 2 connection plugin"

That being read, I'm wondering if I'll even be able to make use of this new version's features in my current project. What exactly are you expecting to transfer over, and what may not to transfer? Will we at least be able to migrate our formulas and trust that everything will remain in place?
  • As said in that thread: nothing safe

Development of ORK 3 hasn't yet begun and you can expect a first beta version in early 2021, so if you have an ongoing project, you should stick with ORK 2.

ORK 3 isn't part of the update cycle, it's a completely new version/product. While I aim at providing an upgrade tool to salvage as much data as possible from ORK 2 projects for people who want to upgrade, that'll still not be able to copy over everything. Most data should be fine, as long as there are no breaking feature changes, but stuff like your UI, scene and component setup will not be transferable.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • "As said in that thread: nothing safe"

-So, formulas may not transfer then? Stats, Attributes, Abilities etc.? One feature I was certainly looking forward to in ORK 3 was a grid based inventory system, but aside from that could you provide some idea of your goals for the new framework? Is it largely an efficiency boost, a feature expansion or a complete reworking of the whole show? What's going to change in our scenes?
  • The goal is to make everything transferable, but ORK 3 will definitely have some compatibility breaking changes, so not every setting will be available (or changed in a way that it's no longer matching old settings).

Due to the changes to data serialization and structure that'll happen, the data transfer can't be done automatically, i.e. I'll have to write a data transfer tool and do pretty much everything manually, so it'll take some time for that to be available (once ORK 3 is available).

As said, if you're already have an ongoing project, I'd stick with ORK 2, as ORK 3 will not be production ready within a year :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • If someone project consist only of a a few battle arenas and will not go beyond developing combat and other systems for a year or more you recommend transferring to Ork 3?
  • Probably - but it always depends on the project. Generally, all projects should be transferable to some degree, so it's just a question of if you're willing to spend some time on getting everything working again.
  • edited April 2020
    Just in defense, you generally want to stick with whatever version of the tools your using once you move into developing your full final product.

An old team I was with was constantly chasing unity updates that broke our game or some small part of our API.. The programmer wound up being more concerned with that than the game. After some point you want to stop upgrading your tools and just finish your current product.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale