In my game, the player is able to choose different conversation mode during a dialogue. Because of that, I'd like to enable/disable some dialogue choices at runtime according to the value of a variable. Right now, it seems that the Show Dialogue step only checks the variable condition when it is fired. After that, changing the variable does not update the choice's enabled state.

Is there a way to do that?
  • I don't understand what you want to do, but have you thought about having a few copies of the Show Dialogue node in a row in your event? This would take care of variable checking.
  • Hi JMR!

While the dialogue choices are shown, I'd like to disable some of them according to the value of some variables. I can't use multiple Dialogue nodes in a row because to exit a Dialogue node, you need to choose a dialogue choice. I want to stay in the same Dialogue node and update the choices' enabled state based on the "conversation mode" chosen by the player.

The player can change the conversation node to enable and disable some dialogue choices which he will or won't be able to choose.

Is this more clear?
  • Yes. I think rather than using Show Dialogue Node, you should create prefabs with events starting on click attached to them. This would be dialogue options.

Create an event that would check condition, then spawn those prefabs, then use wait nodes with 0,1 time and then loop it.

This may not work well if you want those dialogues to be systemic.
  • As you've noticed, the available choices are determined when showing the dialogue and are not udpated while showing it. I'll look into adding an option to update them while showing.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That would be awesome!!! Thanks!
  • Will be in the next update :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!