edited May 2020 in Makinom Support
I'm creating my camera control schematic, the way i wanto to make it work is to have a Target variable pointing to a game object, and move the camera toward it's position. The target could change during game, so it could be other than Player.
I've set up the basic movements nodes, but result is my camera always moves to 0,0,0.

I can't seem to find any way of selecting game objects that are separated from the object where the machine is run from (in this case, the camera).
When setting the variable value (vector3), the object type list gives me some options like Player, Machine object and others, but none of them let me choose a particular gameobject.

On a note:
The first thing i tried to do since the camera would be following the player in most cases, was to set object type to Player (like it is done in most tutorials), but when running the schematics the camera goes to 0,0,0.
I have my player prefab tagged accordingly, then i set the same prefab into the Player Setting prefab slot.. still no luck.
However the scope of the schematic is to have a generic Target GameObject that could change during game, not just the Player.

I've tried nodes like Search Objects, but i can't seem to get anything out of it. If someone could give me some insight i'd appreciate greatly.

Update: I learned that for using Player object type, i had to first define the player in makinom via the SetPlayer node.
However the main request stands. I need to learn how to reach GameObjects other than Player.
Post edited by Vlastan on
  • Use Selected Data for this. Selected data works similar to variables, but allows you to store things like game objects (but selected data isn't saved with save games).

You can use the Select Game Objects node to set/add a game object to a selected key. Use the Selected Data object in other nodes to access it via the used selected key.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great, is there any tutorial or examples that could further explains this? Still i can't wrap my head around the difference between selected data and object, while it seem all very useful i remain somewhat confused about how to use them.
  • There's a general how-to on the topic.

If you're refering to Selected Object, that's something different and is mainly there to work with interactions, e.g. the player has one object selected and can interact with it instead of using an interaction controller. Also, only game objects with a Selectable Object component can be selected objects.

Selected data is a general feature, similar to variables, where you store things like game objects, components or other stuff into keys to identify them and use them in other nodes/schematics. You can also store multiple (and different) things into a key, e.g. selected key target could store 1 game object, selected key availableTargets could store multiple game objects.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited May 2020
    I see there are very different features, this was getting me confused.
    So, the general use for selecting objects would be to use selected data.
    Thanks!
    Post edited by Vlastan on