Why is it that using a menu button to call another menu works differently from using an assigned control key for the purpose of toggling the menu screen on and of while '2nd Call Closes' is selected? Are menu buttons intended to use a different call method, one that can only be used open subsequent menus?
  • That's because calling a menu via a Button List part will create a menu chain, so that closing the called menu will return to the previous menu. You know, like in classic RPG menu systems, where you browse through the menus :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Is there a simpler way to toggle them on and off with a button than via my current method, which is simply to use Global Event's and Game Variable booleans?
  • Well, the menu screen's call key will do that for you - but as said, if the screen was opened via a button list button, it'll create a chain and returns to the previous menu.

You can work around that by using the close key settings and enabling Don't Return. Using the same key as the call key should work.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I can now use the 'Cancel' button to close an open screen, which wasn't working before, but it would be nice if I could use the same button in a parent menu to open and close a sub-menu. I guess I can move the cancel button over the parent menu's button in my subs' GUI boxes, but that's a little sloppy and requires a unique GUI for every applicable sub-menu. It would be a lot simpler if we had an option to call a specific 'Input Key' using a menu button. This is workable, though, and thanks for the help.
  • I'll look into it.
  • Cool, thanks. Also, thanks for the last update!