Any chance you'd be willing to add a feature that would let us specify which events block, & are blocked by, other events? That would be particularly handy for looping events, but also just nice in general to prevent glitches and hangups. It would also be incredibly useful for things like combat event chaining to be able to specify which variables pass between events.
  • You can already do that via variable conditions.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • How do I set that up? I don't see any option to do so in the 'Event Settings'. Also, I've noticed recently that some event's, like equip/unequip events run over each other regardless of whether I set them as blocking events, and they also ignore their own global variables. If I use an equip event to check and swap equipment between slots, make them both blocking events and use a global variable checking node at the start of the event to prevent them running all the way through, the unequip event will run, followed immediately by a second instance of the equip event while the first equip event is still running. The global variable I create prior to swapping the equipment isn't recognized.
  • Blocking events are only used by event interactions and global events, i.e. the 'classic' event cases. Things like equip/unequip or status change events are functionality extensions and don't take part in the 'In Event' game state or blocking events.

So, if you need to block these kinds of events, e.g. use a variable condition at their start and set these variables in events that should block them (and remove/unset them at the end of the event).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • The thing is, I tried creating a Global Boolean variable just before the 'Switch Equipment' node and setting up a 'Check Game (Global) Variable' node at the start of the Equip/Unequip events to prevent passing through. It doesn't seem to recognize the variable state, though. Strangely enough, I wasn't noticing any issues before Unity 2020. I'll see if setting up an Object Variable does the trick. Thanks :)
  • edited July 2020
    Well, unless you have anything time-related going on in those events (e.g. a Wait node), they're over in an instant, so if they're setting a variable to block others, they'll immediately be done and unset it again and clear the way for the next event. One equip/unequip event blocking another one would be rather rare or probably impossible without any wait times :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • Thanks. In which order, by the way, do the the equip and unequip events run when using the 'Swap Equipment Node'? Also, can variable conditions be used with combat events, and can they use local, ability or object variables?
  • It'll first unequip both and reequip them again, so:
    - unequip 1
    - unequip 2
    - equip 2
    - equip 1

Battle events can check variable conditions - when in the event itself, you can do all of that. Otherwise, in the setup where you use the battle event, you can use optional status requirements and variable conditions (limited to global or object variables).
  • My only issue with using Object variables to manage combat events is that I'd need to make sure they reset to neutral values after the events run their course, and I worry it may cause a glitch if an event is interrupted. Is there an option to set an event to play in case of an interruption?
  • That could be an issue, but you could work around that by resetting the variables in a turn start or turn end event (default for all combatants set up in Battle System > Battle Settings).
  • That might work, apart from things like attacks of opportunity that can trigger in certain cases when an attack creates an opening and stop out the original user's action. I could try resetting variables in those events, although it's more nodes to jump through which pulls on the frame rate.