I'm having an issue with the flying texts not appearing. I'm working on a basic 2D starter project to learn ORK. I'm going through the full 3D tutorials, but also pausing to apply what I've learned to my rough 2D game project to help it sink in for my purposes.

The battle works fine and the flying texts are being created. I paused the game when testing and can see _flyingtext objects in my scene view. They are invisible though. There is a slightly lighter circle in my scene view (arrow pointing to it) to show the exact position of the flying text. It's exactly where it needs to be, seems to move fine then disappear after the allotted time. But I can't see them in my game view at all for the life of me. I have done side-by-side comparisons of my ORK Tutorial project and my 2D project and everything is exactly the same in the flying texts portion of Status values and in the notification move event. All except I've changed my horizontal plane to be XY and not XZ.

Has anyone run into this issue? Is there a simple setting or check box I'm missing somewhere? Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated. Link to screenshot below. Thanks,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11iZVXkfCZtxplYSipwHjfmkzBMc2f2kS/view?usp=sharing
  • The flying text objects in the scene are just for the position of the text in world space - the actual UI/text isn't on that game object.

Which GUI system are you using?
    Also, are you using a move event to animate the text?

My first guess would be that either the color is faded out completely (alpha 0) or it's rotated in a way that would show it from the side in the UI, although that shouldn't be the case based on your screenshot.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the help.

I'm using the BaseSkin GUI skin that came with the tutorial. And I'm using the same move event (notification1) from the tutorial to move the flying text.

When pausing the game to check, it doesn't look like any of the flying texts are rotated on any axis. Though the text could be since you mentioned it's not actually on the game object.

And I tried removing the fade in and out nodes from the move event, just in case I missed something there, but still no text visible. I have the status values set to show as damage, healing and magic refresh just like in the tutorial.

Here's a link to more screenshots of my battle event object and my flying text settings in the Status Values area of the ORK editor. I'll keep trying different things, but appreciate any help.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rDCz3wxWeiBmgb4bjyYP8HnMILDLdJms?usp=sharing
  • Hm, looks correct to me (unless the used text/shadow colors have no alpha value, i.e. are fully transparent).

Could you send me a small Unity test project (or download link to it) to contact@orkframework.com? Probably easier to figure it out that way :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • For others having this issue - check if your camera is tagged as Main Camera, otherwise ORK doesn't know about a camera, which it needs to correctly place world position based GUI elements like flying texts.

The next ORK update will automatically use the first available camera in the scene if no main camera is found, so issues like this should no longer occur :)
  • I will add to this since I was having the exact same issue; it wasn't due to the camera tag in my case so I thought others could benefit from the solution.
    in the Move Event for the flying text (notification1), under the Fade Object node settings, the End Color's alpha needs to be at 255.
    Under Tutorial 19 'Damage and refresh flying texts' > Fade Object, it is instructed to set the alpha of the End Color to 1. This doesn't give you full alpha with the HDR color picker (I'm using Unity 2020.1f1; maybe it was different in earlier versions of Unity?). Make sure this is 255 or just drag the HDR slider over to the right.
  • Well, the color values depend on the color picker you're using in your Unity project (and probably also on which Unity version you're using), e.g. there's RGB 0-255, RGB 0-1 and HSV (wich is 0-100). That's why I usually describe the color/value as well, e.g. full alpha :)
  • edited October 2020
    I figured that might be the case! The pickers in versions of Unity I've used all end at 255, but I think perhaps the HDR integration for color pickers hasn't been around forever (I haven't used anything before Unity 2018) so that makes sense.
    Post edited by UAutdev on
  • I'm having an issue similar to this. What I'm doing is:

1) Loading Scene A.
    2) Scene A has an autostart battle that loads an additive scene B
    3) Scene B doesn't show any combat text when loaded from scene A but does show when tested alone.
    4) Further Inspection shows the combat text seems to be being rendered but very far away/off the screen when scene B is loaded additively for some reason.

I'd assume this has something to do with the Camera assignment @gamingislove mentioned previously. Do I need to manually tell ORK to use a different camera for floating combat text when the battle starts? How do I do this?
  • The easy solution is: Don't have multiple cameras.
    When loading scenes additively, it'll load everything in the scene, including any camera that's in there. Having multiple main cameras can lead to problems with different things (not just in ORK).
  • Is there a way to tell ORK to use a different camera? I'm switching between the two when I load the additive scene.
  • You can set the camera used by ORK via scripting:
    ORK.Game.Camera = camera;
    camera is a Camera component.