edited November 2020 in ORK Support
Hi,
it is possible to create different languages for a single game using Ork Framework with a simple CSV file?

I know Ork supports different languages to create a game, but I want to know if it's possible to do that only using a CSV file because there are a lot of different places that you need to put text to create different languages for a game.
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • No, currently not.
    I've planned language import/export for the future, but that'll probably be in ORK 3.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Is it possible to add my own code to Ork Framework?
    I insert code by my own in other game's source code that I have to enable translation with a CSV file.
    In the actual state of the Ork Framework, the use of a CSV file is not possible.
    I was not able to find in the source code how to edit that.
    I find a file called "gameplay_source_code.zip", but I didn't extract the content of the file.
    Is it possible to use my own translation solution with Ork Framework or I will wait until you provided a new translation solution to use a CSV file?
    I ask that because it appears the source code of the Ork Framework is not open to editing.
  • The gameplay_source_code.zip contains ORK's gameplay related source code - some core functionality (e.g. data serialization) and the editor remain closed source, but for what you want to do, all you need is the gameplay source code (which contains all settings and systems of ORK).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hi, I extract the gameplay_source_code.zip and delete the AssembyInfo.cs file.
    But when I try to seach for some texts, I can't find them in the source code.
    For example, the text "Show all the stuff." or the text "Quest Logs".
    These texts appear when I press the "Esc" button and the menu settings appear.
    I can't find the part of the source code they are generated. Can you help me?
  • The source code only contains the ... source code.
    All your settings are in the ORKProject.asset file in your Unity project (usually in Assets/ORK Framework).
  • edited August 2020
    Does the source code extract the text from the ORKProject.asset file?
    If yes, I want to identify which part of the source code retrieve the "Show all the stuff" string.
    Post edited by claudiomg on
  • No - the source code is just the source code for ORK's features. The ORKProject.asset is the asset file that's created in Unity when you create a new ORK project (e.g. first time opening the ORK editor).

When ORK is initialized (when opening the editor or playing the game), it will read the data in the asset to fill all the settings with what you've set up.
  • Hi, would this solution work for OP?

Create a script that can read the ORKProject.asset file. search and replace the text you want. make sure to search for full phrases. e.g., the enemy from tutorials is named Evil Pants, but in the asset its found as [CDATA[Evil Pants]]. So if you have two dialogues like "I want to kill you" and "to kill" and you replace "to kill" with "AAAA" then the first dialogue will become "I want AAAA you".
    But if you replace [CDATA[to kill]] with [CDATA[AAAA]] then the other dialogue will not be changed.
    I dont know if dialogues are also sandwiched in [CDATA] or if they have another tag.

I also dont know if these changes will reflect in build or if this asset file is writable in build. If the game reads data from this asset in the beginning of the game before you can run your script then i dont think this will work.
    This will work if there is a possibility of reading the asset file again after user changes the language or if the framework reads required data at the time of its usage.

• ORK itself already has multi-language support, so it'd be better if you would add the texts to your ORK setup instead of changing it in-game by yourself.

If you don't want to copy over the texts for the different languages in the editor, you could also write a tool that does it for you.
  • edited August 2020
    Do you mean an editor tool?
    Should we read data from the asset file between the < languageInfo > tags and add strings to it based on the languages?
    We can supply our own XML excel file which we generate from lets say i2Localization and run our tool everytime we make some changes in localization.

i2Localization supports reading the data from the built game so we dont need to re build the game but we can just connect to the internet and download new translations. For that i think my method in the previous post would be better.
    Post edited by BadlySynced on
  • @gamingislove I use a CSV file on all my games.
    I send the CSV file to a translator and receive it back with the translation for a new language.

@gamingislove you said:
    If you don't want to copy over the texts for the different languages in the editor, you could also write a tool that does it for you.

Can you give me an simple example of how I can create this tool?
    This will hep me a lot.

• Not really, this is quite a complex thing, since you have to go through the different settings in ORK individually, and there are a lot of settings ...

Makinom 2 had to revamp the whole language system to allow export/import of language data. This will be availabel in ORK 3 (which will be based on and require Makinom 2).
  • edited August 2020
    Do you have any idea when ORK 3 will be released?
    Will it be compatible with the ORKProject.asset data project?
    Post edited by claudiomg on
  • A first beta version is planned for early 2021.
    Your current project will not be compatible with it, but there'll be an upgrade tool available at a later time - however, it'll not be able to transfer all of your data due to changes that will be made in the general structure and features.
  • Ok, I understand, I think I'll just use the current Ork version. In the future I'll evaluete if it's worth to upgrade to a new version because of the export/import language tool.
    Thank you for the explanation.