• Which event should I put that in? My enemies movement is controlled my battle AI's and base grid map movement. I don't recall that having an event attached.
  • Well, in the battle events used by your actions.
    E.g. set up a battle event that checks if the user is a player combatant or not and change the camera control if it isn't, set up another one that returns camera control to the player (or whatever else you want). Now, use the first event before all other battle events for your actions and the 2nd event as the last battle event in your actions.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2020
    Do you mean in the Battle Animation settings for individual abilities?
    I've toyed around with that. The camera currently jumps back to the player at the end of the ability even without the second event that returns camera control to the player. Also it jumps back to the player in between each attack. Enemies currently make 3-5 attacks per turn so it sort of... zig-zags instead of sticking with the attacker. I get why that would be since it doesn't wait until the end of turn. Can you set up an end of turn or start of turn event anywhere?
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • Yeah, you can set up turn start/end events for all combatants in Battle System > Battle Settings in the Default Events, each combatant can optionally override them with their own events (or not use events).

Also, in case you're using the battle camera settings (Battle System > Battle Camera), that'll interfere with your event based camera changes.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2020
    I wasn't using battle camera settings although having checked them out they do basically what I want! Is there a setting somewhere for blocking player camera control during enemy turns? I tried creating a turn start event that blocks the camera control and a turn end one that unblocks it for enemy turns but that also blocks the other camera changes from the Battle Camera settings.
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • When using Camera Control Target in the battle camera to change the camera target, it requires the controls not to be blocked. So, if you block the camera control during enemy turns it'll not work, regardless if you block the control via a setting somewhere or in the turn start event.
  • Yeah. I started to figure that out during my experimentation. Is there a way to disable the players ability to control the camera during an enemies turn without using control block? Like if I wanted to have the camera do pre-programmed things on the enemy turn (such as swap to the nearest allied unit and look at whichever enemy is having a turn)
  • No - if the camera changes are done using the camera control via camera control target changes, it requires an active camera control.

All other camera changes (e.g. via camera positions or simply moving the camera via events) can be used, though.
  • What would be the appropriate setup for a global event (for a turn start or turn end event) for finding the combatant whose turn it is via search objects? I've tried setting things up a couple of ways but I've sort of struggled with search objects nodes.
  • In turn start/end events, the combatant is available as Starting Object type actor - since you can use the Set Starting Object setting in the Start Global Event node, you can use this to forward the actor to the global event (i.e. it'll be the Starting Object actor in there as well).
  • Awesome. Thank you. That's very useful!
  • My team lead wants to move back to using the default movement via grid selection for grid battles where you select where you want your guy to go, and then take actions, so that maximum movement is controlled by the normal max grid move.

But he wants to know if it would be possible to add a system for joystick based movement along the lines of what we worked out here where pressing in a direction moves your guy in that direction rather then controls what hex you're selecting, but that still uses the normal grid movement number as the base system. And if it is possible how much would it cost to have that system added?
  • So ... huh?
    You can already use whatever input key you want for the cell selection, e.g. using the joystick to move the selection cursor around.

Or do you want to actually move the combatant around to plan a path and execute it on selection?
  • Yeah... I thought I might not have explained that clearly. Sorry.

Yes, move the combatant around, but instead of planning the path and then executing it just execute the path one step at a time as you give input instead of moving the cursor. But still based on grid move and consuming grid move as it goes.
  • But isn't that pretty much what you already implemented?