edited September 2020 in ORK Support
I'd like to pause combat for dialogue between the enemy and party. I'd like to use a third party dialogue system for this. Ideally I could pause ork, bring up third party system, save success or fail dialogues in ork global variables and then continue combat / win combat based on those variables.

Is there a way to pause ORK combat and start it again on call?
Post edited by foxx on
  • What battle system (type) are you using and what's the setup like?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2020
    Sorry, Active turn based. Right now everything is spawned in a separate combat world scene.
    Post edited by foxx on
  • Ok - how/when are you actually causing the dialogue?

E.g. if it's started via a battle action (e.g. an ability of the enemy), it'd pretty much pause the battle until the action is done anyway.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2020
    I'm trying to start it based on a choice battle event.

Similar to persona 5's recruitment feature where it pauses based on a choice, runs through dialogue, and resumes if failed.
    Post edited by foxx on
  • Well, since it's already in a battle event (which can only be used via a battle action, e.g. an ability, item, etc.), it's already part of the battle mechanic - and your turn based battle (even in Active mode) will still perform one action at a time, so it'll block the battle from progressing anyway.
  • edited September 2020
    Right but since I'm calling a third party dialogue system, how do I tell ORK to pause after the dialogue stops? Like a "pause until called manually" node or something. Essentially what I think would happen is

1) Ork choice to recruit
    2A) open dialogue system
    2B) Ork doesn't know about third party dialogue canvas / choices running so it continues with next turn. Actions made (keystrokes or clicks) during third party dialogue might make ork do unwanted things too.
    3) Player ends dialogue and a bunch of things might have executed in ork.
    Post edited by foxx on
  • Your best option is to use a custom node for that. The node would call your custom stuff and waits for a callback (i.e. passing on a delegate to your custom code). E.g. check out the PlayerGridPlacementStep class for an example.
  • Cool I'll look into that thanks
  • Also, you only need to have your custom node's code in the Unity project, no need to recompile ORK :)
  • So I found your post about creating custom nodes (in Makinom which you said was similar to ORK) here: http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/4745/ability-cast-on-mouse-position/p2

But I'm having trouble finding this PlayerGridPlacementStep. I'm looking through the source code files and can't find anything with that name.
  • Ah nvm, it was in BattleGridNodes.cs