• Pretty much. But, main difference being that what I already implemented doesn't make use of grid move, so it's more awkward to make things like status effects that reduce or increase the move you can do on your turn without also impacting your turn timer. When getting into discussions about how it all works with my project lead he decided that we should swap to using the normal grid battle system for movement, but wanted to know if it was possible to use something like what we implemented only for the initial move phase of combat. Sort of like how movement works in Valkyria Chronicles, if you're familiar with that game, only on a grid map and with the opportunity to make multiple attacks.
  • I'll probably need more details on how you did your setup for the custom movement, but you can already use grid move and reduce the move range of the combatant via the event system (Change Grid Move Range node).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Like... in the event for the move ability have it reduce the move range by 1 with each use? That would be huge. How do I do that? And if I did that would there be a way to make the ability not cost turn time?

Right now, if I give the players grid move and have the grid movement abilities set up then they can use grid move and move on their own via the abilities. Can you have grid move but disable cell selection for it?
  • Yes, as said, use the Change Grid Move Range node to change a combatant's move range :)
    The ability not costing anything can be set up in it's settings - depending on which battle system you use, e.g. the Turn Action Cost for turn based combat, override it and set it to 0 cost.

You could set up a custom grid move ability (not using ORK's grid move) that waits for the user's input (direction keys and probably a cancel/stop key) and moves accordingly.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It also just occurred to me that I could turn off the auto-call to grid move selection so that the directional pad controlled movement, reducing move as the combatant went, and there won't also be a cell selection thing going on at the same time.
  • Well, yeah - if you don't use the actual grid move command (cell selection), using auto call grid move at the combatant's turn is not very usefull :D
  • I feel pretty stupid. My team lead and I have been going back and forth on how we want to do things because of this, very easily solved, issue. =p
  • Everything is easily solved if you know how to do it :)
  • How do I check how much grid move a combatant still has in a battle event? what's the node for that called? And what is the node for reducing?
  • That's a job for the almighty Check Status node, using a Grid Move Range check.

When there's no dedicated node for it and it's something combatant status related like this, you can usually assume that it's in the Check Status node :)
  • Wow. Having just looked at the breadth of what the Check Status node can do I see what you mean. Also I implemented this and it works like a charm. I haven't gotten a controller set up so I can test it on an analogue stick but I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for all your help!!!
  • I have two questions about mouse camera controls. Also, by the way, I'm very grateful for how helpful and patient you've been about providing this help and guidance, even while I try to explore different options. If ever you feel that I'm asking too much and you'd like to be paid we're more than happy to support you more. We're supporting you on patreon but at this point you've really gone above and beyond.

1) right now I've got a min height and max height for the camera, but if I give any input to change the height orientation it continues to change the height until I get to limit in that direction or until I give it a new input to shift the camera. So, for example, if it is at the minimum height and I push the mouse to raise the camera at all it will raise the camera and then continue to raise the camera until it reaches maximum height unless I push the mouse back down to tell it to move towards minimum height. Is it possible to get it to only move up or down when I move the mouse instead of continuing after the mouse has stopped moving?

2) If using mouse camera control style in a grid battle would there be a way to, in an ability event, do a ray cast from the camera to determine where it's pointing, then change a units orientation to face that direction, before executing whatever else is included in the event?
  • Don't sweat it, I'm just answering questions - but if you ever need a feature that's not possible otherwise, I'm happy to implement it as a commission :)

1) Did you select the Move mode in the Mouse/Touch Control settings of the mouse camera controls?

2) That should be possible using the event system:
    - use one of the raycast nodes to e.g. find a position on the ground
    - use a Rotate To node to rotate to the found position (or object)
    - use a Grid Direction Rotation node with Nearest rotation to lock to the nearest grid cell rotation
  • Awesome. Thank you so much. =)

1) I had "all modes" selected. Along with "use click", click count = 1, timeout = 0. I've tried it in both hold and move and it is doing the same sliding thing during and after the click is held. In start and end it seems to not work at all.

2) okay excellent. I'm going to implement that.
  • edited November 2020
    1) I'll check it out.

Edit: I'm not really sure what you're doing wrong here - if you're using the mouse/touch controls in the Mouse camera control type, they'll only change the rotation or zoom based on the mouse movement, i.e. just holding down the key doesn't do anything (even when using All Modes).
    Maybe you're also using an input key in the zoom settings? If you only want to use mouse movement, make sure to use a None key, i.e. no real input comes from it.
    Post edited by gamingislove on