edited September 2020 in ORK Support
So I went back to using Ork controls a couple months back, but I'm trying to implement a custom jump ability control map and setting it to "on ground" but it just keeps letting me spam it even when I'm 100% in the air.

I have a character controller set up. Are there any other things that interfere with it being able to tell if the player is or is not in the air/on the ground?

My character just has a Animator, Character Controller, Damage Zone, and a Rigidbody.

This also seems to be the reason why my character never plays the Fall auto-animation.
In fact, every one of my Control Maps are set to Use Air/Ground and none of them make the distinction.

...Possibly related?
I've been getting this error lately
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ORKFramework.Behaviours.ButtonPlayerController.Start () (at :0)

Post edited by Wrofir on
Miuratale : coming 2024
Miuratale
  • Hm, the error might be caused by a bug - if you don't use the sprint setup, enable it, make sure Use Energy is disabled and disable using sprinting again.

Not finding the ground could also be due to that, but it can also be coming from the new Find Ground features that where introduced in one of the last updates. Check your combatant's Find Ground settings (bottom of the settings) if it's using own settings, otherwise check the default settings (defined in Battle System > Battle Settings > Combatant Settings > Default Find Ground).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Downloaded the new version and set that up. worked great :D
    Thanks!
    Miuratale
  • edited September 2020
    Okay, so slight animation issue that arrived from letting my character onto different heights.

If I walk off of very small ledges the character stops auto-animating and just hovers around in till I lift off the movement keys and press them again.

Also, is there a way to do fall damage using Ork? Like an auto status effect upon falling vs landing?
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Which on ground check are you using, character controller or raycast?

There's no out of the box fall damage solution, but you could probably do it via events, e.g. a repeating autostart event on the combatants checking the ground and causing damage if the distance was at some point too high.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited September 2020
    Character controller. It works fine if the fall is like.. over 1 foot tall. It's the tiny drops that seem to cause the animations to break

hmm, is there a node for checking if a combatant is on the ground? I can't find one. Would it be possible to raycast the ground? My character is using a custom jump event, so I could have it check the distance at the beginning and end of the jump... maybe if the distance is too great then start up a "fall damage" check event.

Edit : I tried raycast as well, same issue. It's weird because after a few seconds the run animation sometimes starts to play again.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Hm, what are your combatant's auto move animations like?
    Generally, if the combatant isn't on the ground, it'll not play movement animations and should play the fall animation.
    Miuratale
  • Hm, maybe it's your character controller's slope limit?
    I usually use one around 45.

Also, how's your animator controller set up?
  • edited September 2020
    Video of the issue :
    https://i.imgur.com/dW0hmmq.mp4

I also tried setting up Use Root Motion on the animator, but that had no effect
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • edited September 2020
    This was fixed by applying a nav mesh agent.......????????????????????????
    I set it to have a mask of "Nothing" so it's always attached to the player.
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Ok, strange, but well, fixed is fixed :)
  • edited September 2020
    Nope, sadly not... So when Navmesh is attached and set to nothing (attached to the player)
    it returns to the issue of never being registered as being in the air. so I can keep spamming on-ground abilities even in midair.

If I set Navmesh to normal settings, my character teleports to wherever the Navmesh gets stuck (happens often) But this fixes the problem.

The hovering idle animation issue is still happening, but now only when entering/exist slight slopes. (But now the slight ledges problem is fixed)

I thought that checking position change on the animations would fix the animation issue but nothing...
    Post edited by Wrofir on
    Miuratale
  • Have you checked what your animator controller is doing during this?
    Could be that it's just playing some animation which overrules the others.