edited November 2020 in ORK Support
Dear ORK support,

according to the Actions Per Turn tutorial,

to create a custom action points system you can:
- let the Actions Per Turn at 1 (Value) and set the Default Action Cost to 0 (Value),
- limit the actions available to a combatant, by use of the Use Costs of the abilities, e.g. using a Consumable type status value like MP or AP (action points) that can be replentished each turn through the Turn Bonuses (defined in the settings of the used battle system).

Q:
In such setup - will (how) be the grid move/path cost callculated when using Move command?
In other words, how ORK framework will know how many APT combatant have left, so how far he can go on the grid (using the grid cell move costs for the particular cells on the path)?

Thank you!
Post edited by Riffage on
  • Currently, you can't. Grid cells can use the move cost or action cost, i.e. reduce the combatant's move range and/or actions per turn, but they can't consume status values like MP, etc.

Can you give me more details on the system you want to set up and why you'd want to use a custom action point system?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2020
    I'm working on a turn based battle system (on hex cells), where every combatant action (such as move, rotation, changing stance such as prone, using abilities, using item from quickslot, using item from inventory/bag, etc) will cost certain amount of Action Points. (Might you ever played UFO: Enemy Unknown or UFO: Terror from the deep, or it's remake Xenonauts, you know what I'm tallking about.)

Most of the cases can be covered using already existing ORK system of ATPs. But since there is no direct access to the ATP value, some interresting options are limited. Those options are mostly comming from idea, that I would like to allow player characters to interrupt their turn - doing some actions, then waiting for other combatants to play and then finishing the moves. And I want to be able to influence the combatant current APs on the fly.

For example, imagine such situation:
    1) Player Character A is first to play in the turn. It has 10 APs available at start of each turn. Player decides to apply defence mode for cost of 4 AP, thus boosting it's defence values. Having 6 APs still left, player postpones the rest of the Character A's actions for later in this turn.
    2) NPC is next to play. Making some attacks on Character A, using all AP's.
    3) Then Player Character B is next to play, who is a support class. He casts "Haste" spell on the Character A, thus doubling it's current APs. Since Character A has already spent 4 APs this turn, it still has 6 APs left. By being boosted by "Haste", he now receives additional 6, thus having 12 APs to spend this turn. Then he use it (to move somewhere, or to attack, or cast a spell, or whatever)... and finishes the turn.

You can think about several similar situations using this concept, such as immediate buffs, debuffs etc.

I think that this cannot be done using current system, since I'm not able able to read and modify actual character ATPs on the fly. What could be done currently is, that when "Haste" is casted on a Character, this character will receive ATP bonus in the next turn(s). But not immediatelly. Or, I can do it, but I will loose the autocallculation of the move cost (I like the curent functionality, that moving through the cells is consuming the ATPs).

In general, IMHO it would be enough simply to have some variable where ORK is keeping the curent ATP value reacheable, in order to be able to read it and to change it when needed - assuming ATP check is done just before every action. And then all this could be done :-)
    Post edited by Riffage on
  • You can use the event system to change and check actions per turn via the Change Action Bar and Check Action Bar nodes, so that should actually cofer that use case.

The issue I see mainly is that turn based battles don't allow you to postpone a combatant's turn and use it later (in the same turn), as the combatants use their actions in the order that was determined at the start of the turn (as per the turn calculation formula). Using the Phase battle system might be the better option. Alternatively, the Multi Turns turn based mode could also be used (works like the Final Fantasy X system).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!