Is there a method to create a "magic missile" style spell?

fires 3 missiles which can target combatants in any combination (one combatants for 3 missiles, 3 combatants for one missile each, etc.)?
  • Sure, the place for doing this stuff is the battle events used to animate the ability.

The details depend on how you want it to work, but I'd e.g. go for a setup with a Group target range in the ability, i.e. all potential targets are available in the battle event.

The event itself can use selected data to target a random one:

1) Use a Select Combatant node with Use All Combatants enabled and Current combatant scope, using the target actor. This will store all available targets into a selected data (e.g. selected key targets).

2) Use a Select Selected Data with Random select type to randomly select one of the targets stored in targets and store it into a different selected data (e.g. currentTarget).

Now you can use the currentTarget selected data as target in the Calculate node or for spawning effets, movement, etc., since you can use the Selected Data object instead of an actor in all the other nodes :)

For targeting 3 of them, either repeat selecting a random (using Set change type) and do the spawning/animation/damage thing one after another, or just select 3 random at the start (i.e. 3x the Select Selected Data node with Add change type) and you'll have 3 random targets for the rest of the event, which can also be the same target multiple times.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok Thank you.
    So it can be assigned randomly via a script but is there no method for the user to select three combatants from a list (based upon the the group)?
  • No, there is currently only single target and group target selection.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!