CTECTE
edited November 2020 in General Support
Edit: This was solved, but please see second post.
Post edited by CTE on
  • Okay, I figured it out.
    I added a child object to my controller and put the footstepper component on that and it solved it. Must be something with the controller and it isn't always registering being on the ground.

A quick question, if I may. If I wanted to add crouch steps, is it easy to override the footstepper script, or is there a better way?
  • When a footstep/sound isn't played, my first guess would be that the raycast didn't hit the ground (or at least anything with a footstep source). In those cases you should make sure to use a raycast setup with some leeway and you have a good layer setup, e.g. not including the game object's layer the footstepper is on.

As for crouching footsteps, you can either use Tag Effects or Custom Effects, see the documentation on footstep materials. Depending on your setup, one or the other might be better, e.g. playing footsteps via animation events would make custom effects the better choice, while using auto play (e.g. in a first person setup) would use tag effects (i.e. while crouching, you'd change the Effect Tag of the Footstepper component).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2020
    Hello with me it also does not play sounds and I have no idea why. Watched the demoscene but just can't get it to work. I'm using Unity 2019.4 LTS HDRP and the Game Creator Module. Please help

The Demoscene worked in my Project. I have all Components fill out.
    Post edited by gruetschi on
  • Make sure that:
    - there is an Audio Listener in your scene (it's usually added to the camera that's automatically in new scenes)
    - the Footstepper component has the Source set up to the Audio Source component on your game object (this will actually play the footstep sound)
    - the Footstepper component's Raycast Settings are correct (e.g. not using the layer of the game object it's on, the distance being long enough to go below the game object, correct 2D/3D mode for your project, etc.)

For further help, I'd need to know more about your setup, e.g. how are you playing footsteps (auto play, via animation events, etc.).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2020
    Hello thank you for the answer.
    I have an audio listener. Have created and added an audio source on the player object. I do not use auto play. Have additionally added Foot IK and set Ray Distance to 1 on both(and also played around with more or less). I have added left and right foot, there are toes in the hirarchy below but I don't suppose it will cause a problem.

Edited: I have solved it now. I think it is because I am using HDRP and my layer consists of Diffuse, Normal Map and Mask. I have now added all three to the TextureMaterial and then it worked.
    Post edited by gruetschi on