Hi, I hope you're doing well.
I've sent this message by email, but now that I finally have access to the forum, you can ignore this mail, I'm sorry. ^^;;

I just finished to set up your Footsteppers asset, and it's working well, thanks ! But when I change to a particular animation (combat state), the footstep sounds are weirdly doubled or out of synch. Even when I quit this animation and come back to my default state, the out of synch sounds remains. I also noticed the problem when I set my Player invisible/visible, or when I teleport it to a different place. I use events on animation clips.
I made a video and and some screenshots of my set up in the mail I've sent.

Tell me if you need anything else.
Thank you for your help !
Best regards,
  • Not sure if you got my mail, so I'll just copy it over for now :)

Your footstep issue might be due to animation blending, which basically plays multiple animations at the same time.
    Try increasing the Min Animation Weight setting until you find a spot where it works with your setup.

The Only Highest Animation Weight setting will play only the footstep from an animation event with the highest weight, but this is limited to the footsteps that are played within the same frame, i.e. only useful if your animations are in sync and have events at the same time.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oh, sorry, indeed, I didn't receive your mail, let's continue here then ^^;
    Thanks for pointing me out this value. I tried to play around with the Min Animation Weight (I put around 0.25), also with the Only Highest Animation Weight tickbox (seems to be better ticked off) and the Time Between (between 0.01 and 0.1).
    The walking animation is more or less good, but when I run, I have many footstep sounds missing (like if one of the leg was not emitting sound).
    And I still have the issue when I blend to combat mode. Even if I don't move in combat mode, just turning it on then off, back to walking mode, it's enough to trigger the "doubled sounds" issue. It's like he's remembering the events of the combat animations and added it to the normal animations, instead of resetting the thing.
    I'm sorry to bother, I'm kind of lost x)
  • 0.25 weight is pretty low, rather try something like 0.5 to only get the 'main' animation that's playing. Though that'd depend on how many animations are blended together ...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • That's what I don't understand indeed, because on my side, I don't have many animations blending. I have 2 animation layers, both set to weight 1. And the blending time is never more than 0.5 sec. I would understand that the issue may occur during this 0.5 sec. But when the state anim changing process is over, I'm back to only one animation at a time (I mean no blending anymore), and the issue is still there. That's why I think the problem could be coming from something else... :/
  • Hm ... I don't assume you have multiple game objects with footstepper in the scene that could cause additional footsteps?

I think it'd be best if you can send me a Unity project with your setup to check out, a simple scene where it occurs would be enough. E.g. upload it somewhere like dropbox and send me the link via email :)
  • Oh, it would be wonderful ! ^^; I thank you for your time, let me prepare the scene and send you by mail.
  • Alright, checked the project, here's what I've found:

1) The issue of missing footsteps is due to your layer setup. Basically, the footstep raycasts hit stuff they shouldn't, e.g. colliders/triggers on the player (i.e. the object using the footstepper). This is easily solved by having the ground and the player on separate layers, and the foostepper's raycast setup to only use the ground layer instead of everything.

2) The multiple footsteps playing is a bit more complex, but it comes down to the animation events you've set up, there's too much of them :D
    From what I've seen, the animator mainly plays the walking animation, which should have the animation events for playing the footsteps. The additional combat animations (not sure where they are played, though, as they seem to not be part of the animator) also have animation events firing the footsteps, which play in addition to that and are not needed. I've removed the animation events on some of the animations and it worked a lot better.

So, in short, probably just have the footstep animation events on the basic walk/run animations, maybe even just on the forward/backward animations instead of all the left/right variants as well (which never seem to have played anyway).

Also, I noticed that your animation events always use Int value 0, i.e. always play the left footstep. The right foot (in your setup) would have index 1, i.e. using Int value 1 for those events would play for the right foot.
  • Hi, sorry for the delay, I was testing around your solutions, then I broke my anim, had to come back to a previous version, etc... x)
    First of all, I thank you a lot for digging into this for me, I really really appreciate ! Just for this, it 100% worth the price, haha ^^
    So yeah, the Raycast/layer was a problem indeed, and it's gone now, thanks ! ^^
    And it helped for the out of synch issue, even though I still have some desynchro sometimes. I kept Footstep Events only in the walk forward and run forward anim, and deleted all the Events on all the other anim, even those I don't use, as you suggested me.
    I think it's fine, I can keep it like this, nevermind if it's not 100% perfect. It was not 100% synch on your side too, right?
  • Yeah, seems to keep playing from animations that are not really added to the animator controller, so I assume they're coming from somewhere else (probably the controller asset you're using - not sure how that whole state thing there works).
  • Yeah probably. No problem, you already helped me a lot, thanks again ! ^^